Franchise FAQ

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
DaveO

Franchise FAQ

Post by DaveO »

With the franchise system coming in as of 2009 here is the start of a thread to answer some of the questions that will no doubt be asked.

From spring of 2008 all Super League clubs will be classified into one of three categories based on their performance and structure both on and off the field.

The RFL will assess the clubs using a points based system to create Grade A (eight points or more), Grade B (5 to 8) and Grade C clubs (5 or less).

The criteria and points are as follows:

* Facilities - 2 points
* Finance and solvency - 2 points
* Player production and competitiveness - 2 points
* Attendances - 2 points
* Geographical location - 1 point
* Complying with the rules - 1 point.

There are reportedly 18 clubs going to apply for 14 places in the 2009 SL competition.

So in theory the four clubs that score the least points will not be awarded a franchise be they existing SL sides or not.

Of those 18 clubs two are what you might call expansion sides, Celtic Crusaders in South Wales and Toulouse in France.

In 2010 the assessment process will be repeated with the weakest Grade C club considered for relegation. It is possible that no club will be relegated (for example if there is no grade C club).

However regardless of whether or not a SL club is relegated in 2011, the best performing NL1 side will be promoted so we could end up with a 15 team league.

There is also no finite limit on the number of teams in SL so over the years more clubs could be added which in effect means the game returns to a situation of one big "first division".

That is the story so far.

Dave
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Franchise FAQ

Post by Mike »

So we get...

Facilities: 2 pts
Finance and Solvency: probably 2 points unless they decide to take salary cap breaches into account here as well as the rule breaking points below
Player production and competitiveness: 2 points (most playeers in SL started at Wigan :lol: and we only miss top 6 very occasionally)
Attendences: 2 points
Geographical location: 0 points
Compilying with rules: 0 points

So we get 7 or 8. We're grade A/B borderline - no relegation for us!

Sounds like a very poor system to me. Its very all or nothing. I mean a club in SHeffield say - do they get the Geographical location point or not - it could make the difference between a C grade and a B grade for someone, and is entirely arbitrary.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Mike posted:

Sounds like a very poor system to me. Its very all or nothing. I mean a club in SHeffield say - do they get the Geographical location point or not - it could make the difference between a C grade and a B grade for someone, and is entirely arbitrary.
Basically what they've done Mike is worked out what clubs would get a franchise under various criteria and tweaked it to get exactly the clubs they want in SL. Then they present this 'fair system' which is there for all to see.

The RFL will already know who 13 of the 14 clubs will be at the very least. What happens with Celtic Crusaders is still anyone's guess.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
However regardless of whether or not a SL club is relegated in 2011, the best performing NL1 side will be promoted so we could end up with a 15 team league.

Dave
Thanks for that, dave!

Note that it won't necessarily be the NL1 GF winner that gains promotion in 2010:

...a National League team will be guaranteed a Super League licence for 2012, which would either be at the expense of a relegated team or as a result of further expansion.

To be in contention for promotion, a club must have contested at least one National League Grand Final in the previous three-year period, which in theory could produce six candidates, who would then be assessed in accordance with the normal criteria set out for Super League membership.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

so by giving Wigan 0 for geographical location, you'd also have to give st helens, warrington, leigh, salford 0 also... which means potentially 'nobody' in our loation... some team may have to have a point.

One thing that is certain is that Wigan are safe for a franchise spot... so too are St Helens even though their stadium/ crowds are dire.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Mike posted:
So we get...

Finance and Solvency: probably 2 points unless they decide to take salary cap breaches into account here as well as the rule breaking points below
Player production and competitiveness: 2 points (most playeers in SL started at Wigan :lol: and we only miss top 6 very occasionally)

As you say, the points do seem somewhat arbitrary, but it seems to me they'd look something like this:

Leeds 9
Hull 9
Wigan 8
Bradford 8

Warrington 7
Huddersfield 6
Wakefield 5
Saints 5
Catalans 5
Salford 5 (if they get their new ground)

Quins 4
Castleford 4
Hull KR 4
Widnes 4
Toulouse 4
Celtic Crusaders 4
Leigh 4 (new ground)
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

GeoffN posted:
Mike posted:
So we get...

As you say, the points do seem somewhat arbitrary, but it seems to me they'd look something like this:

Leeds 9
Hull 9
Wigan 8
Bradford 8

Warrington 7
Huddersfield 6
Wakefield 5
Saints 5
Catalans 5
Salford 5 (if they get their new ground)

Quins 4
Castleford 4
Hull KR 4
Widnes 4
Toulouse 4
Celtic Crusaders 4
Leigh 4 (new ground)
Castleford are meant to be getting a new ground are they not? Also their crowds were steadily increasing prior to their relegation, I think they'll be a little higher than that as its unlikely they'll go over the cap.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

gpartin posted:

Castleford are meant to be getting a new ground are they not? Also their crowds were steadily increasing prior to their relegation, I think they'll be a little higher than that as its unlikely they'll go over the cap.
As far as I know, their proposed new ground is still a long way from becoming reality, unlike Salford & Leigh (and like Saints!), so I discounted it. They've already fallen foul of the cap rules, so they don't get that point either.

I gave them 2 points for finance (since I've not heard anything to the contrary), 1 for performance (based on winning the NL1 GF) and 1 for player production & competitiveness (based on their 5th place in the U18's league, behind Wigan, Saints, Leeds & Widnes). I don't think their attendances in 2006 were worth a point - I'm basing my calculations on roughly 5k per point, as a rule of thumb.

mike binder

Post by mike binder »

how do sts get 5 pts most i can give them is 4
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Bear

Post by Bear »

I hope leigh are in it :lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!