Yellow card amnesty - No more personal abuse on threads

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
Mike
Site Admin

Yellow card amnesty - No more personal abuse on threads

Post by Mike »

The new season is almost upon us and we are going to have an amnesty on warnings. I'm going to clear all warnings.

However, from now on, anyone who abuses another poster on a thread, even in retaliation for another abusive post will get a warning. If someone abuses you on a thread, do not respond. Send a PM to one of the mods, or report the thread using the link at the bottom right of each post.

If you get two warnings in a month you will receive a temporary ban, any more after that will result in a permanent ban.

Lets clean up the personal abuse on the board and get back to RL debate.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan Watcher

Re: Yellow card amnesty - No more personal abuse on threads

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Well said and i totally agree

HenPenKid

Post by HenPenKid »

I've just visited the RedVee forum.

No idea what has gone on-I have been on there many times and never thought their standards were any different than you find on here, but now, whenever you post anything, it goes into a 'queue' and has to be passed by a moderator before it appears on the forum!

From what I can gather, there is only one moderator who also has a full time job!

Any form of repartee has gone out the window as each post can take days to show up!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Never been on RedVee that I can recall but they have obviously decided the forum must be fully moderated for some reason.

Some forums are like that. Back in the days I used to post on Usenet on the rec.sport.rugby-league forum there was once a suggestion the forum become fully moderated and it wasn't uncommon for such forums to be so. It didn't happen to that forum but you can guess why it was being proposed.

Dave

playfuldodger

Post by playfuldodger »

can this also go for the people who repatitively use the quote system where it takes half an hour a page just to read, if ppl want to get the jist off a conversation they can go back several pages if needed rather the persistent half page quotes, its gets tedious reading the same quote time after time after time and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on, u ppl know who u are so give it a rest
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Quoting is fine. However, it is good practice to limit what you quote to the relevant piece of the post you are responding too - don't just quote the entire post and everything that it quoted as well.

I can probably make quote's collapsable in the future, maybe even allow you to sepcify whether you want them collapsed by default so you can open only the ones you want to view.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
playfuldodger

Post by playfuldodger »

i agree with limiting although some ppl prefer to quote the whole of a previous page and it gets rather boring reading a thread that should be 2 pages but because of the constant quotes it ends up being closer to 7 or 8 pages
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

playfuldodger wrote:can this also go for the people who repatitively use the quote system where it takes half an hour a page just to read, if ppl want to get the jist off a conversation they can go back several pages if needed rather the persistent half page quotes, its gets tedious reading the same quote time after time after time and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on, u ppl know who u are so give it a rest
Quoting is useful especially when comments are coming in from several posters on a thread. If I had not quoted your post would I be replying to Mike or to you given there is a post of his sitting between your post and my reply?

There have been several little spats recently were people have taken offense when someone has posted a comment that others mistakenly thought was directed at them. Had the reply quoted part of the post they were replying to then that would not have happened.

Mike is right when he says it is good practice to limit what you quote to the relevant piece of the post you are responding to but sometimes when you do that people accuse you of taking their comments out of context!

People need to understand if a poster just quotes one or two points out of a post to respond to those are the points they want to discuss and are not trying to be sly or misrepresent the posters other views.

Dave
Susi

Post by Susi »

Think amnesty good idea and i wish i knew how to do quotees each time i try it goes wrong. collapsable ones sound good idea, not to much to read or choice if ya missed original tangent of thread.
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

I use a mac computer, not raincoat, before someone gets the wrong idea!

Can someone tell me how to do quotes, as, like mrs feka I can't work it out for myself...numpty, numpty numpty. As this post started on not abusing others I wish to make it unequivocally clear that I am referring to myself as a numpty and not the estimable mrs feka!!!