Why is this site so badly run?

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
BriH

Re: Why is this site so badly run?

Post by BriH »

ancientnloyal wrote:This is a fantastic site and you have to admire the time spent by Mike to put it all together over many years. It is upto US to update what we can, Mike allows US to add news stories, pictures, votes, edit player info but not many people do, sadly. I from time to time have added stuff but I can (& will) do more.

I think the OP's thinking is a bit sad to be honest, you try creating a site that is successful and spend your own time and money doing work that, perhaps, only 3 people will view.

Well done Mike and contributors
It's OK by me as well!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

ancientnloyal wrote:This is a fantastic site and you have to admire the time spent by Mike to put it all together over many years. It is upto US to update what we can, Mike allows US to add news stories, pictures, votes, edit player info but not many people do, sadly. I from time to time have added stuff but I can (& will) do more.

I think the OP's thinking is a bit sad to be honest, you try creating a site that is successful and spend your own time and money doing work that, perhaps, only 3 people will view.

Well done Mike and contributors

Thats fair enough, it really depends on how much you value a forum being run well. Imo this forum isn't updated too well and some in some areas I would say this place lacks ambition. In the forum I'm involved in, as I've said, we have a core of good posters, obviously with different views, just like any forum. We have built ourselves up from the ground anf have just celebrated our 5th birthday by doing competitions to win signed shirts, books etc.
We have a forum only fantasy football that is done in a unique way that is unique to our forum. Each player picks their own team and their players are then their own. They own them. They bid for them in an auction of every player at the start of the season and then can sell/swap players between each owner. They must have a certain number of certain positions and must pick a starting team, anyone injured or suspended will be replaced by a sub they haven't selected in their starting team. Its very popular and very unique.
We also have a lot of threads about a lot of stuff throughout our history. A lot of stuff about Munich, when we won the European cup in 68,99 and 08. Lots of older posts that have been resurrected.
We run through donations. We put our own money into it to begin with and receive donations in return for giving members more say in what happens. Ie if there are competitions people can make suggestions, people can suggest anything. We received a suggestion to add a 'like' button, which adds up likes for members posts and remembers them and they get rep points, then on the main screen, the members with the best rep scores are mentioned, as well as posts with the most likes. That was suggested about a month ago, we had a test board for a week 2 weeks ago and it went live a week ago.
Where I think this forum could be improved, is maybe more responsibility to be given to people as a reward/incentive to donate towards the forum. Use the funds to have make the forum better in terms of extras you could add, maybe a forum chat and possibly a little advertising.
I understand that maybe I came off a little harsh in the OP, but all this was in my own personal opinion.
I'm not using this post to blow my own trumpet, despite what people may think, I have a genuine interest in helping this forum grow.
Wes

Post by Wes »

PM Mike B Pie I am sure he would be interested in your ideas and allow you to better the site, I am sure he would appreciate a donation too.

welcome to the forum BTW.
markill

Post by markill »

Blackpool_Pie - are you talking about the forum or the site content - in my opinion they are two different things. Either way, it would be cool if you went about helping in a constructive way, and also others don't blindly cast the guy off for not liking the way things are, hear him out and encourage him to help out if he has the time to do so.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Thanks to the last 2 posters.
I am very happy to help out where possible.
Just out of interest, how many people would be willing to donate £10 for 12 months extended privileges on the site and be a part of the decision making on the site?
I realise both are different, but I think if more people have more of an interest in this site, and have more privileges, they will be online more often and be more willing to update news, players profiles etc.
I do see a lot of potential on this site and would love to see it prosper. That said, I understand that users that have used this site for a long time will be reluctant to change. Its the way we work. We don't like change as the human species.
Also, if anyone is interested in looking at the forum I have helped build, pm me and I'll give you a link.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We did sponsor Chris Tuson for 3 years which I ran the syndicate for. We had draws for prizes, shirts, pre & end of season dinners plus memorabilia. Before that cp ran the sponsorship of Karl Pryce.
I only stopped for this season because of family illness, I'd already sorted everything for last season before Stephen became seriously ill.

I would start a player sponsorship up again for next season, one of the upcoming academy players, like Chris was, if anyone wants to join again let me know & I can make enquiries at the club :)
Obviously it would depend on the cost of the player as to how much individuals would have to contribute to cover that cost & extra monies for extra prizes.
Money left over after all outgoings was always donated to the running of the site :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Thats great Josie.
I remember vaguely seeing it at the top of the screen. What exactly did you get out of it? What was your aim when you decided to sponsor him?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:Thats great Josie.
I remember vaguely seeing it at the top of the screen. What exactly did you get out of it? What was your aim when you decided to sponsor him?
The site was listed in the programme & on the official site as the main sponsor of the player. We were entitled to four corporate matches & two places each to the dinners. Plus player attendances, which we only ever used once!
It was just for fun really but with extra monies I got signed home & away shirts to raffle off between members. Plus other things as well like signed prints, rugby balls etc
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Well thats great.
Is there any way of sponsoring someone else now then? Maybe Burke, Spencer or Crosby?
What did you do with the dinners and the matches? How many tickets to the four matches did you get?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:Well thats great.
Is there any way of sponsoring someone else now then? Maybe Burke, Spencer or Crosby?
What did you do with the dinners and the matches? How many tickets to the four matches did you get?
It's too late in the season now I think, it's all sorted before pre season with players sponsored.

The dinners were two tickets to each dinner. I would get a player or someone like a manager of a dept connected to the club to draw out members names. If they wished to take someone with them they would have to book it themselves with help from me of course.

Same for the corporate matches.