Why is this site so badly run?

Information and Rules for new message board users, plus FAQs for many common topics. Check here to see if your question has already been answered before posting on other forums.
Blackpool_Pie

Why is this site so badly run?

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I don't mean to be rude but this site is pretty bad. The match previews are crap. You can't view unless you're signed in, they're not updated with injuries, squad news etc and there is no preview whatsoever. Why can't you just make it a standard threat where you can discuss the game and team selections? Pictures are old, injuries, as said, aren't updated. In the news section there is still a picture of Madge with most news reports. Old pictures of players etc. It can't be hard to update things just a little? The forums have some good posters but I've been put off greatly by the clichy feel to the forum.
Surely if you just updated the match threads to something a bit better where you can actually discuss the game along with updating players who are available to pick the team from, that would make things a lot better? It could mean more traffic and more people sticking around.
Out of interest, who is in charge of this site?
josie andrews

Re: Why is this site so badly run?

Post by josie andrews »

You are being rude IMO

You can view when not signed in.

Why do you bother to come on this site at all if it is so bad??

If you knew anything about this site would know who is in charge of it!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I'm not being rude, hence me stating so before I say anything. Its feedback. Apologies if you were offended.
I meant you can't view a prematch game thread, but there is actually nothing to view there anyway, just a badly made poll that no one uses. It would be much more user friendly if it was a thread with talk of the game, a proper preview etc and discussions in it.
I've been coming on this site off and on for a few years as you have a few good posters who seem to be in the know. Some posts are very good and I like to read them. Are you suggesting I shouldn't come on here any more?
I don't know much about the site, you are right. I don't know who runs it, but you seem to be a mod or something.
I don't know why you have reacted the way you have. I genuinely didn't mean to offend you. I know quite a bit about making sport forums. I was a part of Manutd.com official fan forum on the main site until they changed it round. Since then me and a few others from that site created a new forum from scratch 5 years ago which is now in the top 5 of United forums. We have a good base of regular posters, most of which contribute financially yearly. I was only hoping to help really. I can see this site has the potential to be a very good site, you have a core of very good posters and a decent enough set up. I was just going to suggest a few things. If thats not something you want then thats fine. I just don't get the overly defensive reaction.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The site owner is the Administrator, whose name will be in yellow when he is on line. You can PM him your views his name is Mike. If, when you send him a PM, you scroll down the list of members it is on there.

I suppose I did over-react, apologies, but this is a different site to others this is just about Wigan, whereas other sites encompass all RL teams.

Mike doesnt always come on the site due to his work & is extremely busy, but he will see this post & more than likely contact you.

I don't mean for you not to come on the site, I was asking why, if you think it's so bad.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

No problem. I understand if you're a moderator for somewhere and someone comes along and tells you its crap, you're not going to be very happy. Do you not see any sort of issue yourself though?
Does this forum/site have any kinds of ambitions to get better or is everyone happy not to progress the board?
I would be very happy to help in any way if there are any genuine ambitions.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

With regard to 'discussing team selection', I go on RedVee regularly and as soon as the squad is named, everyone starts their 'I'd go.....' post. It becomes the most boring thread imaginable. I mean seriously, how many different permutations can you get from a total of 19 players, short of putting Makinson at prop and Puletua at scrum half! :lol:
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

If you don't like picking a team, thats fine, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who like to pick a team, positions, starters/subs etc and like to see what other people would pick as well. Its part of people having opinions and creates debate.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

As for being 'cliquey', I can understand why you might think that but its really not true. A number of posters comment regularly on each others threads either to agree or disagree. Once you've been on the site long enough, you develop a feel for other peoples posts and tend to veer towards them to see what they have to say.

I reckon the contentious title of this thread will attract quite a lot of people and I expect it to run and run.

So like Josie said, please keep posting. Makes for a decent discussion! :)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I do not think it matters which site / who runs it; every owner bar 1 does it in their limited free time on a voluntary basis and at a financial cost to themselves.

More importantly keep posting and I daresay Mike the site owner can give you permission to update the match previews etc.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

PS I guess I am a clique of 1 :)