Tautai Drink Driving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
User avatar
Wigan_forever1985
Posts: 5239
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by Wigan_forever1985 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

nathan_rugby wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
If the law and potential risk of killing somebody whilst drunk won't deter the players, I am not sure a couple of game ban will.
I said at the time of Hardakers "easy" treatment that it set a dangerous precedent. Im not sure whether you could ban a player from breach after that or they would quite rightly be able to sue the club considering they didn't ban Hardaker for the same offence
Always be yourself - unless you can be Dan Bilzerian then ALWAYS be Dan Bilzerian!

josie andrews
Posts: 24750
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by josie andrews » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm
Well in the last year or so weve had

Zak drink driving
Mullen drink driving
Hamblin taking drugs
Tautai drink driving

theres also rumours about Escare

The culture of the club is not were it needs to be - we wonder about fitness, you cannot be fit if you drink shed loads there's an old saying you cant out train a bad diet and its true.

wasn't the escare rumor the one that ended up being Mullen?


the thing is the club could be doing more but won't because of where we are in the table.
when Bateman had the fight he was stopped from playing for weeks in a club imposed ban.
Joel was near enough sacked when it came to light (the cover up aside).

Tautai is the first first team player to have a issue in season and this is were the club needs to set its standard. Hamlin wasn't banned by the club. Zak was preseason, Mullen isn't first team.

regardless of how we are preforming the club need to set an example with Taitai and maintain it regardless of which players are involved. I can see due to onfield struggles he will be left out for a token week be fined and put back in.
PM'd you
PM me with what you know please
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

ancientnloyal
Posts: 13889
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by ancientnloyal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Image
Rugby, Family and Strava... that’s about it for me tbh

User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by EagleEyePie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Further detail here:

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/crime/w ... -1-9818478

Says that's he's likely to be deported due to his sportsperson visa expiring after 6 years. Was in the process of applying for residency.

User avatar
yokozuna
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:15 am

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by yokozuna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Caboosegg wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am
As a serious question.

Is this Lam? Isn't he over here alone at the moment which would probably mean lots of socialising.

If its not we need a good clean out, players represent the club and behaviour like this from anyone shouldn't be tolerated?

Do we want young wigan fans looking up to a bunch of druggy drink driving Diva's?

This isnt football.



Also why the hell is the clubs response to a major loss to go out and get pissed?
Funny you should mention football. Look at Liverpool football club. You have true professionals like James Milner and Jordan Henderson who train hard, live clean and professionally, and look at what that's helped them achieve. Some of the team has beers after their CL win, and they'd certainly earnt those. Milner was asked if he'd be having anything stronger than Ribena to celebrate, and he said he might push the boat out and have a lime and lemonade!

But two years ago, Firmino was banned for a year and fined £200,000 for drink-driving. The club supported him, and I haven't heard anything about him or anyone else in the squad stepping out of line since then.

A professional sportsman's career is short and fragile. I don't understand why they'd put all their hard work at risk like this. Others will know better, but does Lockers live pretty clean with regards to this side of things? I'd be surprised if he doesn't.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.

DaveO
Posts: 14311
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by DaveO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm

yokozuna wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:44 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am
As a serious question.

Is this Lam? Isn't he over here alone at the moment which would probably mean lots of socialising.

If its not we need a good clean out, players represent the club and behaviour like this from anyone shouldn't be tolerated?

Do we want young wigan fans looking up to a bunch of druggy drink driving Diva's?

This isnt football.



Also why the hell is the clubs response to a major loss to go out and get pissed?
Funny you should mention football. Look at Liverpool football club. You have true professionals like James Milner and Jordan Henderson who train hard, live clean and professionally, and look at what that's helped them achieve. Some of the team has beers after their CL win, and they'd certainly earnt those. Milner was asked if he'd be having anything stronger than Ribena to celebrate, and he said he might push the boat out and have a lime and lemonade!

But two years ago, Firmino was banned for a year and fined £200,000 for drink-driving. The club supported him, and I haven't heard anything about him or anyone else in the squad stepping out of line since then.

A professional sportsman's career is short and fragile. I don't understand why they'd put all their hard work at risk like this. Others will know better, but does Lockers live pretty clean with regards to this side of things? I'd be surprised if he doesn't.
I don't understand it either. I am sure while there have always been some heavy drinkers like Connelly but that was mostly before the full time era. Yet even now the game is full time some RL players (not just at Wigan) carry on as if they are playing for a pub team.

As to Firmino, I thought it was £20,000 not £200,000 and that was the fine imposed by the courts? What Liverpool did as punishment was not made public and he wasn't banned from playing.

The reason it was £20K was due to his income. A breath alcohol reading of between 36 and 89 mgs per 100mls will usually attract a fine of between 125-175% of the offender’s weekly income. He had 46mgs =, so 1.3 times over the limit. So if TT did double the limit his fine is going to be a higher percentage but it won't be £20K !!! Unless he has been a secret marquee player ;)

Technicalities aside there is obviously a far more prevalent clean living culture in football, a sport many RL fans consider a bit soft and full of overpaid prima donnas.

old hooker
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by old hooker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
Trouble is the club has set precedent with Hardaker so hard to take any line but that with other players
Correct, Hardaker is a serial offender and the club have gone out of their way to support him so Tautai should be treated the same.

User avatar
EagleEyePie
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by EagleEyePie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm

old hooker wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
Trouble is the club has set precedent with Hardaker so hard to take any line but that with other players
Correct, Hardaker is a serial offender and the club have gone out of their way to support him so Tautai should be treated the same.
Tautai is also a repeat offender when it comes to drink driving

User avatar
yokozuna
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:15 am

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by yokozuna » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm
yokozuna wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:44 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 am
As a serious question.

Is this Lam? Isn't he over here alone at the moment which would probably mean lots of socialising.

If its not we need a good clean out, players represent the club and behaviour like this from anyone shouldn't be tolerated?

Do we want young wigan fans looking up to a bunch of druggy drink driving Diva's?

This isnt football.



Also why the hell is the clubs response to a major loss to go out and get pissed?
Funny you should mention football. Look at Liverpool football club. You have true professionals like James Milner and Jordan Henderson who train hard, live clean and professionally, and look at what that's helped them achieve. Some of the team has beers after their CL win, and they'd certainly earnt those. Milner was asked if he'd be having anything stronger than Ribena to celebrate, and he said he might push the boat out and have a lime and lemonade!

But two years ago, Firmino was banned for a year and fined £200,000 for drink-driving. The club supported him, and I haven't heard anything about him or anyone else in the squad stepping out of line since then.

A professional sportsman's career is short and fragile. I don't understand why they'd put all their hard work at risk like this. Others will know better, but does Lockers live pretty clean with regards to this side of things? I'd be surprised if he doesn't.
I don't understand it either. I am sure while there have always been some heavy drinkers like Connelly but that was mostly before the full time era. Yet even now the game is full time some RL players (not just at Wigan) carry on as if they are playing for a pub team.

As to Firmino, I thought it was £20,000 not £200,000 and that was the fine imposed by the courts? What Liverpool did as punishment was not made public and he wasn't banned from playing.

The reason it was £20K was due to his income. A breath alcohol reading of between 36 and 89 mgs per 100mls will usually attract a fine of between 125-175% of the offender’s weekly income. He had 46mgs =, so 1.3 times over the limit. So if TT did double the limit his fine is going to be a higher percentage but it won't be £20K !!! Unless he has been a secret marquee player ;)

Technicalities aside there is obviously a far more prevalent clean living culture in football, a sport many RL fans consider a bit soft and full of overpaid prima donnas.
Yeah, it was £20k. That would have been a large fine, even for a footballer!
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.

medlocke
Posts: 8218
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Tautai Drink Driving

Post by medlocke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:42 pm

It's on the facebook that he's getting deported :shock:

Locked