Reserve Grade confirmed for 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Reserve Grade confirmed for 2020

Post by josie andrews »

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe have confirmed that a Reserve Grade competition will be relaunched in 2020.

The 11 English Betfred Super League clubs have approved a proposal for all Super League clubs, and clubs with Category 1 funded Academies outside Super League (Widnes Vikings and Bradford Bulls), to have a mandated reserve team.

Five further applications from clubs in Betfred Championship and League One have been received, with decisions to be made by the end of July.

The launch of Reserve Grade will be accompanied by a change in the regulations surrounding the Academy, which will now become an Under-18s competition rather than Under-19s, as at present. The dual registration and loan systems will remain unaffected.

Wigan Warriors Executive Director Kris Radlinski: “We welcome the news that Super League Europe and the Rugby Football League will be relaunching the Reserve Grade competition in 2020. We have been extremely vocal in our support for a Reserve Grade as we believe that to create a pathway to maximise the potential of the players we are producing at Academy level is vital for the lifeblood of our game. In our opinion, we have always argued that the jump from Under 19s to Super League is enormous for a young player, only a select few can make it, but that’s not to say the one’s who at 18/19-year of age aren’t ready should be discarded and labelled a failure. It’s important that these young lads have a regular stage to play against older players and hone their craft as ultimately this will produce a higher calibre and number of Super League players which can only be beneficial to our game.

“When I was a kid coming through at Wigan Warriors, we had internationals playing in the reserve teams, we had 3,000 to 4,000 people at Central Park watching us, and that’s where you learn best as a youngster, from your older peers in a more pressurised environment. We’re extremely happy to see this rolled out from 2020 onwards.”

Dave Rotheram, the RFL’s Interim Chief On-Field Officer, said: “We have listened to the views of stakeholders – clubs, coaches and players – before making this proposal.

“The majority view is that the game would benefit from the reintroduction of a Reserve Grade competition, primarily as a next step in the development of players between Academy and senior rugby, but also to provide regular rugby for players on the fringe of selection, returning from injury, and a platform for later developers.

“It was important in making what is a significant change that we also took into account the impact on the other professional competitions – Betfred Championship and League One – and also the community game.”

Robert Elstone, Super League’s CEO, said: “Super League is about superstars - players that get us on the edge of our seats, players that make our jaws drop, players that inspire us.

“Our success will depend on our ability to find, nurture and create the superstars of tomorrow.

“It’s why development pathways like this are so critical to the future success of the game.

“It is essential that we offer appropriate challenges to our young players on their journeys into Super League.

“A well-managed, resourced and competitive reserve grade will provide that.”

The Reserve Grade competition in 2020 will be administered by the RFL. The fixture schedule will be finalised during the winter but is expected to run on a home and away basis, with no play-offs.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 2CmcAlW.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Reserve Grade confirmed for 2020

Post by fozzieskem »

And about time too
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think the U19's should stay in place instead of an U18's comp!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Leeds should be barred until Hetherington steps down

Good news btw
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

bloody hell a bit of sanity back in the game.
Interesting that Josie why under 19s instead of 18s.?. I think most of 19s lads if up to first team level would be better playing in open age rugby .And the 18s when ready would make the step up.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 pm Leeds should be barred until Hetherington steps down

Good news btw
I does state 11 SL teams so can we say Leeds don't want in Hetherington has been against .
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

jaws1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 pm Leeds should be barred until Hetherington steps down

Good news btw
I does state 11 SL teams so can we say Leeds don't want in Hetherington has been against .
Well there are 11 English sides and one French in SL. So someone at Leeds must have relented

What happens for Catalans though? No mention of them having a reserves
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm Wigan Warriors Executive Director Kris Radlinski:
“When I was a kid coming through at Wigan Warriors, we had internationals playing in the reserve teams, we had 3,000 to 4,000 people at Central Park watching us”
I think Radders memory must be going! I used to watch the reserves when they played at Central Park and despite some good and often very noisy crowds they never reached four figures!!!!!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

....but also to provide regular rugby for players on the fringe of selection, returning from injury, and a platform for later developers
Not rocket science is it! The damage done to players careers and the sport by not having had a reserve grade is huge IMO.

Players careers ended before they started and good players lost to the game, injured players rushed back etc.

I think we have all said this before so this is a great development if long overdue.

I think it ought to benefit us a lot with our production line allowing us to take a more measured view of who might make the grade instead of making educated guesses at age 19 or 20.

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 pm
jaws1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Good news btw
Well there are 11 English sides and one French in SL. So someone at Leeds must have relented

What happens for Catalans though? No mention of them having a reserves
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm Wigan Warriors Executive Director Kris Radlinski:
“When I was a kid coming through at Wigan Warriors, we had internationals playing in the reserve teams, we had 3,000 to 4,000 people at Central Park watching us”
I think Radders memory must be going! I used to watch the reserves when they played at Central Park and despite some good and often very noisy crowds they never reached four figures!!!!!
They did there was 6000 on when Green Vigo's first played in the A team
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 pm
....but also to provide regular rugby for players on the fringe of selection, returning from injury, and a platform for later developers
Not rocket science is it! The damage done to players careers and the sport by not having had a reserve grade is huge IMO.

Players careers ended before they started and good players lost to the game, injured players rushed back etc.

I think we have all said this before so this is a great development if long overdue.

I think it ought to benefit us a lot with our production line allowing us to take a more measured view of who might make the grade instead of making educated guesses at age 19 or 20.
I think you are spot on Dave
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards