Low key opener?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Low key opener?

Post by Caboosegg »

while I appreciate everyone situation is different, I personally don't understand the I have work the next morning argument.

I attend Thursday matches, I don't get home until about 11 - 11.30 depending on how long it takes to get off the carpark and have to get into work for 7-8 am the next day while having 2 young children to potentially have to sort out in the morning (if they are up early enough).

that isn't me saying oh look at me but more it boils down to how much you want to go, do the crowds that turn up to watch Man U midweek have the same issue? they can't all not be working the next day.

that said I sadly will miss this Thursday as I allowed my wife to go instead as she's a Warrington supporter :? and you do have to have pity on them :D:D
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 pm Ive said it elsewhere, people need to put their money where their mouth is and get behind our team.
That’s as maybe but for clearly a lot of reasons those that aren’t coming anymore clearly haven’t bought into the 2 big signings,it’ll need more than that I fear,trust is hard to win back,that and the fact we simply overplay teams too much each season.

I know me and the better half aren’t doing the away loop fixtures this season and if we get into a run where we seem to face the same team over and again then we will miss it,just to try and keep it all fresh.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 pm Ive said it elsewhere, people need to put their money where their mouth is and get behind our team.
They'll be there if we get to a final and expect the best seats!😀👍
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 pm
That’s as maybe but for clearly a lot of reasons those that aren’t coming anymore clearly haven’t bought into the 2 big signings,it’ll need more than that I fear,trust is hard to win back,that and the fact we simply overplay teams too much each season.

I know me and the better half aren’t doing the away loop fixtures this season and if we get into a run where we seem to face the same team over and again then we will miss it,just to try and keep it all fresh.
Would you not include french in that? He was recruited for this year and only played last year as we had to sign him or miss the opportunity.

From what we saw from him last year after very little time around the team I'm very excited for watching him this year.

Hopefully we should see an increase i attendance, i image football will price alot of people out shortly and our tickets seem good value.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 pm
What if they haven't got the money, I struggle to do anything after paying my tattooist after a session
That I can accept Meds but I am talking about all those who said they wouldn’t go until IFL invested in the team. Well he has so no excuses for them!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:38 pm while I appreciate everyone situation is different, I personally don't understand the I have work the next morning argument.

I attend Thursday matches, I don't get home until about 11 - 11.30 depending on how long it takes to get off the carpark and have to get into work for 7-8 am the next day while having 2 young children to potentially have to sort out in the morning (if they are up early enough).

that isn't me saying oh look at me but more it boils down to how much you want to go, do the crowds that turn up to watch Man U midweek have the same issue? they can't all not be working the next day.

that said I sadly will miss this Thursday as I allowed my wife to go instead as she's a Warrington supporter :? and you do have to have pity on them :D:D
Let us have her seat number and we will sort her out! Don’t forget Wire are Wigan old boys anyway 😀
shaunedwardsfanclub

But the points you raise, although valid, were not put forward as a reason for many not attending.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Would you not include french in that? He was recruited for this year and only played last year as we had to sign him or miss the opportunity.

From what we saw from him last year after very little time around the team I'm very excited for watching him this year.

Hopefully we should see an increase i attendance, i image football will price alot of people out shortly and our tickets seem good value.
No I wouldn’t include French as a signing for this season,he came last year and while impressive for me he’s a player from last season not a “new” player though I concede we fans will hopefully see the best of him this year
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I certainly agree with comments regarding Thursday evenings being impractical (work and family) and of course Skysports also puts a spanner in the works......no getting away from it.
That said, I think there is a very strong Wigan V Wire and for the opening game of the season, I would expect fans to roll out in big numbers from both clubs!
As for signings, George Burgess and Jackson Hastings are NRL standard and Bevan French at 1 will surely be entertaining......if these signing aren't enough to wet ones appetite god help us :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AndyNick wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 am I'm interested to know, is anyone or has anyone ever spoken to someone in the crowd who thinks Thursday's are a good thing? I've certainly not.
As I travel to games from Chester the motorways are generally quieter than for a Friday night game and there is less chance half of the journey home ends up having them coned off or even shut due to weekend roadworks but that is about it.

For me the worst thing is that 15 minute earlier kick off. It's amazing the difference that 15 minutes makes to traffic on a Friday.