Lam too emotional?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Lam too emotional?

Post by Mike »

I've noticed Lam showing an unusual amount of emotion recently. Anger and disappointment close to years. It's good to see he cares, but should coaches have a more level head? What would it be like to work for somebody who reacts so emotionally to situations? I wonder if this could be an issue?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Re: Lam too emotional?

Post by Nezza Faz »

Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:40 pm I've noticed Lam showing an unusual amount of emotion recently. Anger and disappointment close to years. It's good to see he cares, but should coaches have a more level head? What would it be like to work for somebody who reacts so emotionally to situations? I wonder if this could be an issue?
I'd say he reacted naturally to the events that unfolded in the last few seconds, as Head coach he'd put a season's planning on the line only to be cruelly undone by a freak ricochet. And knowing the investment he'd put into the squad of players, he obviously felt for them too. I don't think he reacted any differently to other coaches, considering the enormity of the occasion.
He's also the asst coach of the Kangaroos, and I would think Mal Meninga and the ARL considered the position for him to be the ideal character, for unarguably, the best side on the globe !
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think it all just depends on personality. I don't think it matters how much emotion you show as long as you're still able to make the right decisions. You could make arguments either way as to how it might affect a team.

If you have a coach who shows no emotion you could argue that they might come across as cold and impersonal. A coach who shows emotion might provide the sense of being in it together - of it mattering as much to them as it does to the players. Wane showed plenty of emotion and it didn't harm us.

Craig Bellamy is the ultimate example of a coach that shows his emotions (although admittedly his only emotion seems to be the one you feel the moment you step on an upturned plug) but it doesn't seem to have done him any harm.

Also, I think at the end of the Saints game, and the end of this season as a whole, it would be almost impossible not to show emotion. The guy has been away from his family during one of the craziest years imaginable. I've no doubt that it's been a tough year for him. He came so close to achieving a coaching dream only for it to be snatched away in a second. That's going to be emotional for anyone.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:40 pm I've noticed Lam showing an unusual amount of emotion recently. Anger and disappointment close to years. It's good to see he cares, but should coaches have a more level head? What would it be like to work for somebody who reacts so emotionally to situations? I wonder if this could be an issue?
It’s all about the balance.

Try telling Jurgen Klopp not to be emotional. He’s one of the best managers of his generation.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I'd be more worried if he was a robot to be honest.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I raise you Craig Bellamy.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Darryl van der Velde, Liked to kick the odd bucket around :D
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Not too emotional for me.

Given the circumstances, I would be way more worried if he wasn't.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think regardless of what was said in Lam's post match interview, his facial expression summed up how we all felt!

You could see and hear how sincerely gutted he was. I think it will be great motivation for next season!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Graham lowe was very emotional and was arguably the best coach we ever had
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE