Goalkicking

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Goalkicking

Post by Suzieb »

Once again last night we failed to kick a goal,when in fact we would have been 12-12 and in a different ball game.They had a stand in goallkicker who did not miss,what is happening to this great club,player retention and recruitment is diabolical,time for a change or else you will lose your loyal supporters.
Caboosegg

Re: Goalkicking

Post by Caboosegg »

Need to give Smith more of a chance.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Smith is a left footed kicker. Both kicks were from the left hand side touch line. Hastings is a right footed kicker & he should have taken kicks that were so far to the left. But that’s what a coaches role is to decide & implement! Isn’t it??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

According to Joe Mills and Bilko, both Smith and Hastings were practising goalkicking before the match.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:According to Joe Mills and Bilko, both Smith and Hastings were practising goalkicking before the match.
I was just going to mention that. They were. Hastings was slotting them over from the left.

With the two of them practicing I thought we were going to see two kickers depending on what side of the pitch the goal kick was from.

But no. Such thinking is beyond the wit of both coach and players it seems.
oval balls

Post by oval balls »

Rhyse Martin, Konrad Hurrell, Matt Prior and King Vuniyayawa still don’t have their futures sorted out at Leeds
Why oh why don’t we go for at least rhyse Martin as he seems a decent kicker and a player whom I feel would be similar to Willie isa as a utility forward
Would Matt prior also be a decent buy
wigans turning blue- my arse

Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

oval balls wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 am Rhyse Martin, Konrad Hurrell, Matt Prior and King Vuniyayawa still don’t have their futures sorted out at Leeds
Why oh why don’t we go for at least rhyse Martin as he seems a decent kicker and a player whom I feel would be similar to Willie isa as a utility forward
Would Matt prior also be a decent buy
Not for me.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

You cannot bring a player in just because he kicks goals, or you would end up with Snyed, and he's the reason why Hull have never kicked on even though they have good players round him.

Look at Foster at Saints, great kicker but not good enough even for the wing so was released.

Smith needs to hammer the practicing, if he could start converting more he would be a shoe in every week.

As for left and right footers, it never seemed to bother Paddy and Frano.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:13 pm You cannot bring a player in just because he kicks goals, or you would end up with Snyed, and he's the reason why Hull have never kicked on even though they have good players round him.

Look at Foster at Saints, great kicker but not good enough even for the wing so was released.

Smith needs to hammer the practicing, if he could start converting more he would be a shoe in every week.

think it depends on how good the kicker actually is. Frano was out of this world in comparison to anyone else i've seen. We have had some good kickers Pat, Faz but Frano head and shoulders above (ready to be shot down by some stats :) )

the last time i recall a switch was when we had Henderson Gill and David Stephenson (i think) who operated as left and right footed kickers, but dont think that was every game either ?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:29 pm
First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:13 pm You cannot bring a player in just because he kicks goals, or you would end up with Snyed, and he's the reason why Hull have never kicked on even though they have good players round him.

think it depends on how good the kicker actually is. Frano was out of this world in comparison to anyone else i've seen. We have had some good kickers Pat, Faz but Frano head and shoulders above (ready to be shot down by some stats :) )

the last time i recall a switch was when we had Henderson Gill and David Stephenson (i think) who operated as left and right footed kickers, but dont think that was every game either ?
It was Stephenson and they certainly did that in the 1985 classic Wembley final v Hull :D

As to Frano, he has said himself worked hard on his kicking to help get into the team. We already had top players who could play in his position but he forced his way in (on the wing at first) but of course he eventually turned out to be a very good stand off himself.

So I'd say when Frano first broke into the team he did so at least in part because he was a top goal kicker.