Wigan v HKR game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan v HKR game

Post by Firestarter »

Im not a stat man but omg does that not prove tommy doesnt create?…. Never rated him as a half…… but a good hooker
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Tommy should never have been given an extension. He should have retired last season. Sam is a hard working grafter but these days you expect more from an hooker, so he is in the spotlight every week and people are comparing him to the likes of Clarke, Roby, and McShane who are constantly delivering in their teams attack, whereas Sam does not. Hence the criticism and why they are in the England squad and Sam is not. Last season was Sam’s best season but like so many this year, not great needs to be moved on.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AndyNick wrote:
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:19 pm Every week there are people criticising Powell because he's not good enough in attack and fair enough, some people don't rate him and see that as a massive issue but when you compare him to Leuluai it's hard to argue that he isn't being unfairly singled out. All the criticisms of Powell can be thrown at Leulaui's door too but he's managed to largely escape criticism. Thread after thread ends up on the subject of Powell and his attacking play but shouldn't we also be focusing on our halfback? Arguably a position with an even greater need for attacking prowess.

Leuluai in 2020:
Starts: 14 - Tries: 1 - Assists: 7

Smith in 2021:
Starts: 6 - Tries: 1 - Assists: 4

Leuluai in 2021:
Starts: 5 - Tries: 0 - Assists: 0

And while not directly comparable;

Powell in 2020:
Starts: 15 - Tries: 11 - Assists: 4

Powell in 2021:
Starts: 9 - Tries: 1 - Assists: 3

While Powell is way down in terms of tries scored he's on course to beat his number of assists from last season. In fact 3 assists is the same as McShane and Clark and the joint highest of any hooker.

I know there's a lot more to it than that and I'm not saying Powell is as good as the two other hookers mentioned but I don't believe he deserves anything like the constant criticism that he gets given there are a whole host of vastly underperforming players right now that don't have thread after thread dedicated to how awful they apparently are.

Meanwhile, Leuluai offers up awful attack each week and no one seems to bat an eyelid. Maybe it's because he's solid defensively but you don't pick a halfback to avoid conceding tries, you pick a halfback to create and score tries.
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to argue that Powell is a world class operator. Believe me I know that he isn't, but he's judged by a different standard to other players. Tommy was completely anonymous last night and there's not a single post mentioning that, straightaway the default position is to go for Powell.
He’s judged by the standards of hookers at other top clubs and by what’s required of a modern number nine and by those measures he’s not good enough.

Those statistics do not change the fact he’s a robot who’s main effect when we attack is to assist the opposition defence.

Do they change the fact he throws a dummy to the left virtually every time it plays the ball for AHB slowing the play down? No.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:17 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 am

Mike, have you got Covid.
No I did a test yesterday. Why do you ask?
If you think we will make the GF I think you are deluded.
Is delusion a symptom of COVID? Otherwise I don't get your post.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Mike wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:26 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am No I did a test yesterday. Why do you ask?
I also think we will make GF and will win every game always have done as a fan that's your expectations if you don't have that belief I can't see the point. We have the team to do it in fact in theory all sl team supporters have. Dreams and think they will come true that season. Just ask the wire fan's they dream every year. And believe that again this is there year the question is would you ever bet against it.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:41 am

I also think we will make GF and will win every game always have done as a fan that's your expectations if you don't have that belief I can't see the point. We have the team to do it in fact in theory all sl team supporters have. Dreams and think they will come true that season. Just ask the wire fan's they dream every year. And believe that again this is there year the question is would you ever bet against it.
I'd bet against Wigan doing it but I would love to be proven wrong. This is not a case of having a blip we are in a mess as a club.
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am

No I did a test yesterday. Why do you ask?
Probably. If you listen to the majority of politicians then anything counts.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:52 pm

So, no then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Mike wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:29 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:52 pm

So, no then?
Probably not but being confused is 😀
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

5 HKR players now down with COVID. All we need is for our lads to go down with it and the season will just get worse and worse.