JUST TELL US IL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

JUST TELL US IL

Post by ddtftf »

I believe that if IL came out and said due to the the last year the club has sustained substantial losses with the virus outbreak and that the club is having to balance the books.
But when all is back to normal we will be looking to strengthen the team when revenue returns.

I think all fans would respect the situation and back him as the season ticket holders did last year by not asking for a refund but all this keeping us in the dark is disrespectful to us and its time to tell us the truth before you loose a large majority of the fans ,.
cherry toffee

Re: JUST TELL US IL

Post by cherry toffee »

100 % agree
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

But there’s balancing the books and looking like a team that’s been promoted by signing players from the team that got relegated

We’re losing Gildart and replacing him with Thornley, who didn’t set the world alight after coming back from RU the first time we signed him.

Bullock (if you believe the rumours) has been pushed out by Lam and gone to wire, we’ve replaced him with a prop from Leigh, the one forward with size has left and we sign another prop who wouldn’t look out of place in middle earth

We lost Williams to wire, fair dos we were outbid, but the starting halves next year are smith and field, one has potential one us unknown, the pack that has been our weakness since Sydney stuffed us in the WCC has got smaller as Bullock and ten minute tony will have left

Hastings is leaving and we’re discussing is Richardson a potential signing, in case you’re asking no, he’s not good enough, compete turnstile in defence

It’s soul destroying what’s going on, we’re badly coached (we couldn’t open up a 12 man Hull KR team) and the team is full of average players. As someone described it were like Man U trading on our “heritage” and Wire are Like Man City trying to build a legacy

the risk is there is so little quality left that we struggle like crazy next year, we’re not exactly pulling up trees this year are we? Will the fans stand for it? But more importantly will they pay for it? Let’s face it 2006 was fun but I don’t want to do it again

I don’t think people will pay, the promise of “jam tomorrow” never really works. last year and COVID was unique, this year just looks like running the team down, and the confirmed signings for next year have relegation battle written all over them
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with most of your post LazyJ and I feel your pain. However, I do think that plenty of fans would back the team through a rebuiliding process so long as it was explained to us. I think that the rest of this year will be disappointing and all the rumours suggest that next year will involve saving money whilst we balance the books. If we're told that in 2022 we'll have a top coaching setup and spend money on a decent squad, I think most of us will keep backing the club with our cash.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 pm I believe that if IL came out and said due to the the last year the club has sustained substantial losses with the virus outbreak and that the club is having to balance the books.
But when all is back to normal we will be looking to strengthen the team when revenue returns.

I think all fans would respect the situation and back him as the season ticket holders did last year by not asking for a refund but all this keeping us in the dark is disrespectful to us and its time to tell us the truth before you loose a large majority of the fans ,.
100% Agree, We all know its not going to be business as usual, We cant expect our owners to cover huge losses and then invest in the team, especially the level of investment needed. If this is a transitional period then like you say, communicate with the fans. Own it, and 99% of us will feel a lot better. But the longer it goes on with the club not saying a word the more disgruntled the fan base will be.

Like I said the plan is to get the club as close to self sustainable as possible, and then the owners investment will be on the playing squad instead of covering losses.

Theres a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment RE Recruitment, id expect some movement in the next couple of days on announcements etc
DaveO

JUST TELL US IL

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Like I said the plan is to get the club as close to self sustainable as possible, and then the owners investment will be on the playing squad instead of covering losses
So they are going to get the club sustainable in the short term by replacing quality with championship standard players to keep the wage bill down and hope the fans keep buying tickets and we don’t get relegated next season?

Seems like an absolutely foolproof plan…..
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 am
Dan2266 wrote: Like I said the plan is to get the club as close to self sustainable as possible, and then the owners investment will be on the playing squad instead of covering losses
So they are going to get the club sustainable in the short term by replacing quality with championship standard players to keep the wage bill down and hope the fans keep buying tickets and we don’t get relegated next season?

Seems like an absolutely foolproof plan…..
There will be more too it than that, I hope anyway, but when you see what's currently going on you're absolutely correct. Hence the club need to say something.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I can see the need for purse tightening well I could until last Friday evening,that side is in dire need of major investment,the kids simply have t kicked on and are much of a muchness,young Smith is a long way from being a regular in my eyes as for the others KR bossed them about all night long.

I am not unhappy with not getting Williams back,good player but he had gone stale at Wigan so why come back but the side needs a decent half,props and centres and a winger at least,you can get away with one or two “lesser” signings but that side needs quality and that won’t come cheap.

Now at last my reply to the original question,there’s more chance of Barry Manilow doing a cover of Motörhead “ace of spades”than Lenegan admitting the club is in trouble it simply won’t happen as you don’t admit any sort of failings in business.

I feel something should be said but it won’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Have to agree fozzie. I think this is a kick in the teeth to the fans. I think we deserve some sort of explanation of what is going on with retention and rebuilding. Sorry for the pun but keeping fans in the dark is not the way to build fan base. Just resentment and ill feeling. We where asked to help and thousands of us did in giving up our season tickets thinking only of the club. I buy 3 season tickets so this was not a cheap thing to do and know there is many many fans done same. For the last 2 seasons up to know we have seen 4 games for that and the promise of a shirt which up to know as not happened. All this would be worth it if the club did one little thing. TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON. I have got to the point I am seriously thinking about no more season tickets and choosing my games. I have held a season ticket over 55years so not a small thing to consider but shows how bad the running of our great club as deteriated and seems no one in club seems to see it or care. We have to rely on posters in the know to get any drips of info to keep us hopefull . Was even told yesterday that wane coming as director of rugby its getting worse by the day. Come on Wigan your better than this surely
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not the most significant part of Lazy J's post, but precise IMO, Wire = Man City!

Another reason I never want wire to win SL, simply because they are trying to buy it!

Will say one thing for Stains, atleast they prolifically develop youth like ourselves and just relay on imports!