Fans face big cryptocurrency losses after platform goes into liquidation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Fans face big cryptocurrency losses after platform goes into liquidation

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm puzzled by the headline. Any fans on here lost through investing in cryptocurrency through this?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:27 pm I'm puzzled by the headline. Any fans on here lost through investing in cryptocurrency through this?
I'm still trying to work out what crytocurrency is frankly

I still mourn the passing of the 1 pound note
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:24 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:27 pm I'm puzzled by the headline. Any fans on here lost through investing in cryptocurrency through this?

i would be surprised if anyone has to be honest

i took an interest when the sponsorship was announced, but have seen nothing since from IQONIQ that led me to follow it up.

It was branded as a fan engagement platform, so i googled, had a look at their website and followed them on twitter. I saw nothing from them to engage with me as a fan, and certainly didnt look to sign up (to whatever it was they were going to offer)

Now some may have signed up, and may have got some content or something out of it, but i honestly didnt see anything that would have got me to sign up
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Well if you had invested £10 in Bitcoin around 2010, it would now be worth around £40 Million.
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

As I said in my previous post, a club employee told me they are talking to existing / potential new partners about taking over the front of shirt sponsorship.

Iqoniq have defaulted on payments with many teams / organisations in the past 12 months, and I would imagine the same has happened to us (potentially giving us a 'breach of contract' way out). Also Iqonic's statement that they are relocating from Monaco suggests to me they have been kicked out of the Principality which has very strict financial regulations on businesses based there.

My view is they hedged their bets on raising capital through Cryptocurrency sales which didn't match their contractual obligations to their partners. How they convinced so many businesses to buy into their financials is either very smooth or a bad reflection on the commercial teams at partners who bought into it (possible why Dan Burton moved on).

Ultimately it's a PR issue for the club in the 150h season, hence the lack of comment. I think they would want a replacement in place before they make a statement and cancel the Iqonic deal.

Sad ting is how many clubs are affected by this that don't have the same resources as Wigan.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The world of tech is flooded with these things right now. You'd be surprised how many very wealthy investors just buy in on things based on hype alone. So much stuff is fake it until you make it with no substance at the moment. I guess the money men only need 1 out of 10 investments to pan out well to give them a good return, even when they are talking multi-millions for each investment.

Its my industry and we're in the middle of a hype cycle of crypto, web 3 and metaverse right now - most companies will fail, but a few will become the next tiktok.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Crypto.com arena sponsorship deal (the Staples Center in LA) deal falls through in a blaze of publicity in the next few years, and that's a $700M sponsorship!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

New shirt sponsor due to be announced before the match on Friday.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Never mind that, bring back the old white fivers I say.🧐
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:07 am

Well if you had invested £10 in Bitcoin around 2010, it would now be worth around £40 Million.
800 million
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:02 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:07 am

800 million