Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WIGIAN

Re: Wigan vs Saints match thread

Post by WIGIAN »

It's funny , still fancy us against Wire just need to play in their half cut out the mistakes
moto748

Post by moto748 »

French in the halves very much has that 'try and score off every play' thing going on. As does Field, to some extent. As someone said, even Shorrocks at 6 looked better than what we've seen lately. Is it really worth persisting with Cust? Powell would surely do at least as well as Smithies at 13? Whatever his failings, he does offer a kicking option, and we are short on them.

I went tonight expecting us to get beat. What I didn't expect was soft defence. Against St Helens.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

First let me get this out of the way

Many thanks to tonights referee who gave us SO many penalties in the last 15 minutes when the game was gone.....if you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.

Main takeaway from tonight that our forwards are juse too damn small and absolutely monstered all game - until this is addressed we will not be a good team. Wehave some good backs, but again they are mainly small and need the protection of a big pack.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:50 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:48 pm Wilkin is great when saints are not playing but he's so frustrating to listen to.

French has been waiting years to do that to welsby.

Saint very slightly to forward there.
Wigan a good 2 yards forward there you just can't do that.

Every saints player a star.
Wilkins been absolutely fine tonight. Stop making stuff up.
I’m just watching the game back now after being there & he is fine. He’s a closeted Wigan fan 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:52 pm
Ipinwigan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:47 pm Between Kendal and Thornley they are killing us, oh and let's not forget all the errors we are making again.
No idea why we signed Thornley, he's always been no good
Agree to some extent. High tackles and 6 agains are costing us. We've been pretty good with what little possession we've had.
The one decision I would argue with was Welsby's tackle on Miski. Good as it was, wasn't Miski down and his momentum stopped, when Welsby's second effort pushed him over the line?
We said exactly the same at the game, & watching it back confirms he was tackled then pushed over the line!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan1 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:40 pm French should never be allowed to kick the ball again.
What a load of 💩
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

The Worst Things About that Match: A List

-Our performance
-The fact it has thrown up more questions than answers about the team make up going forward
-Bill Arthur (obviously)
-Iain Thornley's first three contributions being a knock on, a high tackle and an offside
-Welsby tackling a stationary Miski as he collected a ball and then illegally dragging him into touch yet celebrating like he'd run 100m to score the winner in the last minute of the World Cup Final
-Truly horrific decision of knock on against Smith that led to Welsby's try, a major turning point
-Paasi leading with a forearm / elbow into Singleton's face and earning universal praise from the Sky commentary team whilst the Wigan player's eyes roll round into the back of his head
-The seeming edict from the RFL that high tackles on Liam Marshall are allowed / encouraged
-Lomax making a poor choice on the fifth tackle deep in the Wigan half and being lauded as a tactical genius
-Finding myself saying "Maybe we should have played Powell.."
-Kendall deciding to start giving us multiple penalties in the last 12 minutes when we are 20 points down
-Harry Smith landing a beautiful touchline conversion when we are 20 points down with three minutes left
-Jai Field's "moustache" (it isn't getting any better)
-The use of the cringeworthy phrase 'Drive for Five'
moto748

Post by moto748 »

You've done your best to bring a smile to my face, Daijones, that's brilliant! :lol:
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

Absolutely...no more jobs for the boys. It's so obvious that there's no 'culture change' at the club from the top down.

The fitness levels were embarrassingly obvious. Execution was appalling. And please, somebody else have a pop at goal.

[/quote]
We need a full coaching staff with no links to the club and also a coach who isn't matey with the players
[/quote]
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Expected a loss. But was annoyed how easy we made it for them early on conceding some soft trys when they looked erratic.

Felt Saints we're poor with the ball all night, but with the state of our pack atm it was inevitable we would get beat down the middle and it was the case.

When Ellis & Byrne go off are bench middles just get rolled. (Hill did OK for how little he played) Peet knows it too, he's been trying to delay bringing Ellis & Byrne back on as long as possible. He brought Ellis & Byrne straight back on around 50min the past few games. Which was just about OK vs Hull KR (but we did concede 2 trys), but it was too late vs Saints.

Mago played the last 5 mins of the 1st half when we conceded a crucial try to make it 18-10. Then he lasted 11mins in the second half, was benched just after we conceded to make it 24-10 :x I'd rather play Miski at prop than him.

Major recruitment needed, ins & outs.