wigan, turnover,salery cap,big club, small club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
andycap

wigan, turnover,salery cap,big club, small club

Post by andycap »

Wigan RLFC turnover for 2005 (2006 not submitted yet) was £3.68M and £3.56M for 2004 PRE TAX profit for 2004 was £108k and £25k for 2005 Total net worth is recorded as (£799000)at the 31/12/05.

This brings up numerous points.

1.We as a club are not as big financially as we think we are and as such our postion may weaken if DW sells out.

2. The increase in spend on the cap sought by members of this board would have little effect on us unless the 50% limit was removed if it was retained then we would not be able to spend much more than we do at present (Mike Binder please note)

3. It does concern me that any new owner would be buying the Wigan Name and little else with no real prospect of generating any real income to invest in the team.

Just food for thought

cpwigan

Re: wigan, turnover,salery cap...

Post by cpwigan »

The figures are somewhat misleading BUt they do raise some of the questions that you offer. Particularly 3). As I understand it, our earnings are much more than what is declared BUt that DW attributed a % to his other companies such as Whelco because he saw no benefit in Wigan RLFC earning much beyond a certain level because come what may, they could not spend that money owing to the salary cap.
doc

Re: wigan, turnover,salery cap...

Post by doc »

Net worth looks low but is understandable in that the club's only assets are the players and name as DW owns stadium etc via Whelco.

Profits may be bigger as most companies with a half decent accountant off set profit against rather dubious expenses to avoid paying corporation tax. I think I am right in sayyng that none of Rupert Murdoch's companies have paid corporation tax in the UK in the last 10 years.
ancientnloyal

Re: wigan, turnover,salery...

Post by ancientnloyal »

With our gate receipts, fan base, merchandise sales of all kinds I am confident we are the richest club in super league with or without Whelans money. Nothing is going to change my mind of that fact so I would presume the net profit etc has expenditures in the local area, eg youth development schemes, JJB staff, coaching... schools.. of the sort whereas Wakefield dont have this on a big a scale hence spend less.

Without a rich owner, I m confident wigan can more than float above water financially.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
andycap

Post by andycap »

As a company director i can assure you that when you get a visit from the revenue they leave no stone unturned in there pursuit of corporation tax.

Returning to the wigan figures it is obvious that all other revenues from corporate hospitality, bars etc are credited to whelco which is my point that once we are sold then unless DW gives us the opportunity to earn additional revenues from hospitality etc then we really are in a tricky situation and though it grieves me to say behind the ante compared with the other clubs.

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

andycap posted:
As a company director i can assure you that when you get a visit from the revenue they leave no stone unturned in there pursuit of corporation tax.

Returning to the wigan figures it is obvious that all other revenues from corporate hospitality, bars etc are credited to whelco which is my point that once we are sold then unless DW gives us the opportunity to earn additional revenues from hospitality etc then we really are in a tricky situation and though it grieves me to say behind the ante compared with the other clubs.
Not as I see it, If Whelco get that money now then the situation would be no different, surely?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

andycap

Post by andycap »

M,m gate reciepts average gate 14k at say £10 per person 140k per maqtch x 14 matches less VAt is £1.67m and sales of merchandise and sponsership does not add millions to our figures and then of course we have to rent the ground to play our matches. - Like I say unless we are very careful we could end up in a bigger mess.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is certainly an issue AC. Indeed, I am fairly certain we are not the only ones who will face it. I know Doncaster did. Will Salford, will Saints?

The NRL clubs are looking at ways of diversifying their income away from the immediate stadia / matchday revenue etc. A bonus may be that we have more freedom as regards securing sponsorship / kit deals / merchandise deals which were often tied into what DW wanted in order to avoid conflict with his interests rather than what was necessarily the best possible deal.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

But it isnt £10 a match, and you went off an average, what about warrington games or sell outs v saints... play offs etc... over the average of £10 a person I reckon around £12 given season ticket discounts per person and pay on gate (approx 4,000 people)

I can see how Leeds may generate as much as us financially but the next club I would say would be Bradford then Saints going off Gates.

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
andycap

Post by andycap »

CP it may give us bigger freedom or it may give us less it will depend on any agreement that is reached with DW we are therefore at his mercey and reliant on his goodwill to ensure that we continue.

But i can still see problems were will we train,were will our offices be, do we rent them off DW? and on it goes and whichever way you look it is going to cost us more money than it does now.

Harlequins Huddersfield, Hull, Wakefield and Bradford (i think) are all in a similr position but at least they have the full support of there landlords be it the local authority or others who have a mutual interest.