Chev Walker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior4eva

Chev Walker

Post by Warrior4eva »

Sorry to keep this discussion going now that he has gone to Hull Kr but I have been away and wasn't able to post this.

Because I don't want to done for liable i'll keep it short and say that I heard that it was going to cost Wigan in Excess of £300k to bring Chev to Wigan and terms were agreed with the player.

To stop the rumour mill and unrest umongst fans I am advised it was Wigan that pulled out rather than Hull KR out bidding us or Hull KR being a bigger lure as some people keep mentioning.

Anyone heard anything different?

[/i]
adrenalinxx

Re: Chev Walker

Post by adrenalinxx »

It's well known that Wigan pulled out of the deal because they weren't going to pay the fee Bath were asking.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
It's well known that Wigan pulled out of the deal because they weren't going to pay the fee Bath were asking.
Which as I mentioned elsewhere begs the question what advantage does having a wealthy owner bring if he won't splash the cash for a player the coach wants and who has agreed terms with the club?

Dave
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:
Which as I mentioned elsewhere begs the question what advantage does having a wealthy owner bring if he won't splash the cash for a player the coach wants and who has agreed terms with the club?

Dave
Begs a bigget question are we that desperate that we would have paid 300k for a decent player. There is much better player outthere.

Demitriou being 1 throw 300k at Wakey as see if they sell. Walker is a good player but only a fool would throw 300k on him.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

thegimble posted:
DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:

Dave
Begs a bigget question are we that desperate that we would have paid 300k for a decent player. There is much better player outthere.

Demitriou being 1 throw 300k at Wakey as see if they sell. Walker is a good player but only a fool would throw 300k on him.
Absolutely right.

If this is true, whoever was responsible was behaving extremely sensibly. There's no way in Hell that anyone in RL should cough up a £300 grand transfer fee for Walker.

And if there's any truth in the story that Walker's agent was also asking for more money - to Hell with that as well. Better to leave the player where he is, and if wants a rough idea what his future holds, tell him to view the vitriol being heaped on Faz in today's RU press. I'm telling you all, England will crash out of this World Cup before the finals, and within a week it will all be Andy Farrell's fault.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Lenagan – thought to be calling some of the shots behind the scenes – is reported to have baulked at the prospect of signing former Leeds centre Chev Walker from Bath after the rugby union club demanded a £100,000 transfer fee."

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I would have hoped that the new owner would be prepared to back the manager if he wanted to sign an international standard player. One season out will not ruin Walker, he would have been a very good signing, and would have brought the best out of Calderwood.

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:

Dave

Totally agree Dave ,Nobby must be pi**ed off now .Unless Leneghan has got a better one lined up.
Antwigan

Post by Antwigan »

So signing fee's do not count on salary cap then? So we could effectively pay a million for a player as long as we stick his wages within the salary cap rules?

My question then is this: Why can we (Wigan) not sign Dimetriou from Wakefield for lets say £400,000 and this is say £100,000 more than he's worth as wakefield were only asking 300k for him (example). The extra 100,000 paid to Wakefield could then be contractually divided between the club bought from (Wakefield in this example) as a 'gratitude' payment and also put towards the players wages at his new club (Wigan) and thus not coming out of it's salary limit, but rather add to Wakefield's limit who have not gone anywhwere near the limit allowed and would not contravine the limit by doing this.
Or does this already go on at other clubs?

PS. Just put Wigan v Stains game on my ipod video so I can cheer myself up anytime anyplace... :)
Campions of the rugby world.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

jaws1 posted:

Lenagan – thought to be calling some of the shots behind the scenes – is reported to have baulked at the prospect of signing former Leeds centre Chev Walker from Bath after the rugby union club demanded a £100,000 transfer fee."

If it was only 100,000, then that's different. I'd have thought Walker was worth around that in terms of a transfer fee, but someone else clearly stated that it was 300,000