Pies!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Pies!

Post by GeoffN »

This was originally going to be in the Good Friday thread, but I thought it deserved one of its own!

Found in the Guardian last February, originally (and unusually not an example of those Southerners taking the pi$$ out of us...well not much!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story ... 59,00.html
dawbz

Re: Pies!

Post by dawbz »

I noticed in his article he did'nt mention that you get a pack of rennies with every Pimblet pie sold.
My wife used to enjoy pimblets pies (we live in St Helens) but she reckons they have gone right down hill, if you want a pie the answer is go to Wigan and i don't mean Pooles.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Just love the comment from the sts fan saying we are called pie eaters because we allways eat humble pie after a rugby match ,thats another fan who must be no more than 10 and thinks supper league was the start of rugby league history.Im sure they have eat alot more humble pies over the years than we have.

The pie eater thing and humble pie relates back to a miners strike years ago ,when the e=wigan minrs were the first to go back to work.
The head line in the following days paper was
"Wiganners take there humble pie and eat it"

ie took the pay on offer and went back to work ,the scoucers as usual wanted to stay off work longer ie lazy scouse so and so
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

personally I think Edwards make the best pies but thats just me :D :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mike binder posted:
Just love the comment from the sts fan saying we are called pie eaters because we allways eat humble pie after a rugby match ,thats another fan who must be no more than 10 and thinks supper league was the start of rugby league history.Im sure they have eat alot more humble pies over the years than we have.

The pie eater thing and humble pie relates back to a miners strike years ago ,when the e=wigan minrs were the first to go back to work.
The head line in the following days paper was
"Wiganners take there humble pie and eat it"

ie took the pay on offer and went back to work ,the scoucers as usual wanted to stay off work longer ie lazy scouse so and so
I got annoyed when I read what the saints fan said :angry: (You are right Mike it is to do with miners strike of 1926,but it was because their families especially the children were being starved by the mines' owners, they returned to work,and "ate humble pie")
I then remembered it was a thick illiterate saints supporter who said it.

:lol: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

josie andrews posted:

I then remembered it was a thick illiterate saints supporter who said it.

:lol: :lol:
Is there any other kind?
luke_robinsons_angel

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

galloways is by far the best maker of pies
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Also the scousers call us Woollybacks from Mill Age... the thing is Wigan never had anything to do with Wool but, Cotton... slight difference...

I find it amusing anyway, wrote an essay on the bugger
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame