Is it davico time once more

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shawcross da warrior

Is it davico time once more

Post by shawcross da warrior »

could this be the case with karl pryce....

leyts hope not as i see him playing a key role for us this season if he is fit to play... :(
weststand-rich

Re: Is it davico time once mor...

Post by weststand-rich »

Don't be so bl**dy daft. Davico played a minute for us and made 2 tackles. Pryce hasn't been on the pitch yet.

When he cobbles off after 2 minutes and we pay the bull 30K we've all got right to moan. Until then lets wait and see.

butt monkey

Re: Is it davico time once...

Post by butt monkey »

mickw posted:
one big difference between them is pryce is ten years younger which should help him. if we get off to a good start then there`s not the pressure to get him back which could help aswell, maybe it`s a slight gamble by IL but i think the odds are well in our favour.
But with a very small experienced squad and Salary Cap monies used on Pryce, we can still, ill afford to gamble irrespective.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

west stand-rich i have my own opinion so shut the f**k up.....

i am simply suggesting because to all reports he has 6 weeks to prove himself and it doesnt sound promising thats all i have said.... :angry:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

weststand-rich posted:
Don't be so bl**dy daft. Davico played a minute for us and made 2 tackles. Pryce hasn't been on the pitch yet.

When he cobbles off after 2 minutes and we pay the bull 30K we've all got right to moan. Until then lets wait and see.
Thing is Davico did play for 2 minutes Pryce is yet to even be registered. I think hes finished as a player all the noises we hear seems to sugest this.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

shawcross da warrior posted:

i am simply suggesting because to all reports he has 6 weeks to prove himself and it doesnt sound promising thats all i have said.... :angry:

Well said Shawky!

you get hung on here for an opinion!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey posted:
But with a very small experienced squad and Salary Cap monies used on Pryce, we can still, ill afford to gamble irrespective.
Pryce like Mathers was a way to add a player to the squad when we had little money left to spend under the salary cap. If he recovers it will have been a smart bit of business.

If he does not, what do you think we would get for a his likely wages?

When we signed Pryce I don't think any of us expected another signing let alone one with the potential he has.

If it doesn't work out then that is tough on us and the player but I don't understand the criticism for trying to wring the last bit of value out of our salary cap by a signing like this.

If you don't like this signing you can't be keen on Mathers either IMO.

Dave
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

shawcross da warrior posted:
I apologise for the bl**dy and put down tone, but there's no need to escalate the abusive response.

With Davico we were unlucky. When he injured himself with a torn pectoral muscle, it was actually the opposite muscle to the one he was recuperating from. The point I was trying to make was that we signed Davico as an assured recuperated player who turned out to be a croc; with Pryce he's a low cost gamble becuase at the moment he's not recovered and isn't registered.

I actually think the dafest thing we did with Davico signing was to sign him at the expense of re-signing Terry O'Conner who went on to top the Props metres gained stats for Widnes that year and probably would have covered some of the leadership issues we had that year with Farrel leaving.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

mickw posted:
one big difference between them is pryce is ten years younger which should help him. if we get off to a good start then there`s not the pressure to get him back which could help aswell, maybe it`s a slight gamble by IL but i think the odds are well in our favour.
And didnt Davico return to OZ sort the injury out and return to play NRL grade footy? I understand why we couldnt wait and keep him on the books but given time and good medical care there no reason why Price cannot do the same.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
butt monkey posted:
Pryce like Mathers was a way to add a player to the squad when we had little money left to spend under the salary cap. If he recovers it will have been a smart bit of business.

If he does not, what do you think we would get for a his likely wages?

When we signed Pryce I don't think any of us expected another signing let alone one with the potential he has.

If it doesn't work out then that is tough on us and the player but I don't understand the criticism for trying to wring the last bit of value out of our salary cap by a signing like this.

If you don't like this signing you can't be keen on Mathers either IMO.

Dave
I think that sums it up pretty well. If Pryce turns out to be okay, then it's good news - but it will also be an unexpected bonus. We didn't think we were getting him and hadn't planned to be fielding a team including him.

If it turns out he's finished, then it's sad - but it didn't cost us a great deal.

Comparisons with Davico don't cut it. Davico was an essential part of our team-plan for that year, and losing him was a near-catastrophic blow.