Re: SMUG!!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Cheers Dave O.God are you a Politician just picking bits out of what was posted and then twisting them to suite you.I didnt and never have said about sacking Noble.What i did say was that we were void of ideas in attack in the past few games.On Saturday IN THE 1ST HALFour tactics were completely different we played good attacking rugby.In the 2nd half we did revert back for a spell to safety 1st rugby when it was needed.Far from being boring it was an exciting and enjoyable game to watch. :wink: :wink: :doz:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Here's something to ponder/debate - do you think that had Barrett played we would have still won?

Of late, Trent has been swamped with defenders to stop him having any effect on the game; he is often forced into playing one out rugby because he is closed down so quickly. I am sure that Leeds would have prepared in the same manner; expecting him to play. When young Coyle came in; leeds were probably a lot less aware of his style of playing and instead had to cover anyone of three players; being less sure of the tactics. This meant more space and allowed the ball to be spread wide in the first half. By half time leeds were more used to the game plan which combined with the conditions and tense atmosphere; saw us adopt a more conservative approach.

For Carmont was man of the match. A dominant defensive performance couple with some good centre play to release Pat; which he did in the first half for one of our best tries of the season

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote:Here's something to ponder/debate - do you think that had Barrett played we would have still won?

Of late, Trent has been swamped with defenders to stop him having any effect on the game; he is often forced into playing one out rugby because he is closed down so quickly.
Well if that is the case it should allow others to exploit the greater freedom that they have as a result. TL has for most of the season failed completely to do this.
I am sure that Leeds would have prepared in the same manner; expecting him to play. When young Coyle came in; leeds were probably a lot less aware of his style of playing and instead had to cover anyone of three players; being less sure of the tactics.
I think the tactics are obvious when you are faced with a 19 year half back making his debut.
This meant more space and allowed the ball to be spread wide in the first half. By half time leeds were more used to the game plan which combined with the conditions and tense atmosphere; saw us adopt a more conservative approach.
Or revert to type?

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Or...

It is/was a simple win? Leeds overhyped even though they are the best side in the league, Castleford have already beaten them and we weren't equal 2nd on points for nothing were we before the Leeds game? Yes a good performance but it's 2 points... it matters in July/August
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ancientnloyal wrote:Or...

It is/was a simple win? Leeds overhyped even though they are the best side in the league, Castleford have already beaten them and we weren't equal 2nd on points for nothing were we before the Leeds game? Yes a good performance but it's 2 points... it matters in July/August
I rate Leeds far above any other team in SL and they remain the team to beat. However, the match showed what we are capable of. I was so despondent after GF. I honestly felt afterward we may be going backwards not forwards. May soundcrazy but the 70+ defeats never hurt. They were sad but you expected them. My expectations are now far higher.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

you really are sad.Yes we have had a great victory,but the critism of the side prior to the match on Friday was totally justified.Lets just see if the team can carry this form forward on Friday.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

God wrote:For the cack being thrown at me i still stand by my comments. Im so bored of the doom mongering and the half glass empty attitude of some posters on here.

Even after victory, people are still saying get shut of T.L give youselves a night off will you.

I was being optimistic and was debating wheter it will be a close victory or a close loss i went 50/50 and got it wrong but underneith i was still optimistic giving Nobles track record against Leeds.
Some people were banging on and on saying we will be lucky if we loose by less than 30. What kind of attitude is that talk about fickle.

As Ancient has said it was a simple win, this was done by using simple tactics even a blindman can see that, keep the kicks away from Brent Webb and control the ruck, and the rest followed.

I would be more than happy if we played like we did in the games against KR and wakey and still snatch the 2 points against a very good Catalans side.

I predict another close game but we will nick this 20-16.

As for being a politician what planet are you on mate, the petrol prices would be 60p a litre if i was in:wink: :wink:

And of course DaveO your never,ever,ever wrong about anything, your like a newspaper reporter with your analysis and comments taken out of context. :wink: :wink:

Keep up the good work because the News of the World will be looking for a new reporter after they get sued for millions by that racing car fella. :wink: :wink:
God - your condescending attitude to others opinions on here is getting worse than one of turf's obsessions!

You called a Wigan loss for this particular match - yet are quick to berate others who are critical of our form of late...go figure - you too had THAT much confidence in your rose tinted half full pack of cliches. :wink:

I have already pointed out on another thread that Wigan did not duplicate the same tactics against Leeds as employed against Wakefield, how could they with the positional and player changes anyway? And Coyle's kicking (with TL) was a plus considering the conditions.

Just get of your cliched "high horse" and stop trying to make us "eat humble pie", 'cos "at the end of the day" the team that "scores more points usually wins" its a "marathon not a sprint! etc etc etc is boring as is your refusal to admit when you're wrong. :wink:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I disagree last season when we were in dire straights the attendances went up IMO,not down,Ithink your getting mixed up with stains :conf: [/quote]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You have to ignore the relegation threat season. People came because they were concerned and to be fair British people stereotypically are 'rubber neckers'. The fear/desire to see if Wigan RLFC were relegated created an excitement/a frenzy. The result was everything. Nobody had any great expectations other than we must not be relegated.

Times have moved on. Expectations have rose. Wigan RLFC are now expected to be competitive in every match, play decent rugby league and be a top 4 club. So when peoples expectations are heightened then the fall is that much further/tougher.

I personally came out and started the humble pie threads because it was a lesson. A lesson that no matter what some fans are able to remain positive and believe. I hold my hands up and say that I cannot. I get more nervous watching Wigan than anything else. I also get a huge adrenalin rush. I nearly passed out (no joke) when Calders scored the winner at Headingley last year.

I think when you are sceptical you have to hold your hands up and say you know what you were right and I was wrong. The really positive fans have my admiration. They can never be knocked down. Me, emotionally supporting Wigan is a roller coaster. I wish it was not but it is and it always will be.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
I think when you are sceptical you have to hold your hands up and say you know what you were right and I was wrong. The really positive fans have my admiration. They can never be knocked down. Me, emotionally supporting Wigan is a roller coaster. I wish it was not but it is and it always will be.
I'm always being told that regarding Wigan rugby I am the eternal optimist. Whenever anyone asks "how do you think Wigan will do today" my reply is "we'll win". :D :D
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan