Re: Which overseas players do you not want at Wigan?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

You can't count Richards, he played for Ireland in the world cup (yes I know he;s an aussie really, but even under the old quota rules, he didn't count as an overseas player). The only one out of that list I wouldn't mind losing is Phil Bailey, I don't rate him very highly, he was IMO awful at centre and we have other second row forwards that are as good or better.
The rest I rate, apart from Riddell, I haven't seen him play yet so won't comment on him.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

exile in Tiger country wrote:You can't count Richards, he played for Ireland in the world cup (yes I know he;s an aussie really, but even under the old quota rules, he didn't count as an overseas player). The only one out of that list I wouldn't mind losing is Phil Bailey, I don't rate him very highly, he was IMO awful at centre and we have other second row forwards that are as good or better.
The rest I rate, apart from Riddell, I haven't seen him play yet so won't comment on him.
You would be surprised by the amount of work Bails actually does, he also has a presence on the field. The only one I would let go is Tim, if he isn't happy it is no use forcing him to see out his contract albeit for the coming season, but if he does want to play, I think he could be good for us if he gets his confidence back and settles. You can't count Harrison Hansen as he is club trained or whatever they call it.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Personally I would like to see a Wigan team with very few overseas players so I have put them in order of which I would like to see the number of overseas players reduced.

Phil Bailey should go because Wigan have Hansen, Hock, Tomkins, Massop and even O'Loughlin for second row.

Tim Smith will be gone soon anyway so hopefully Sam Tomkins will become Wigan stand-off for a good 10-years or so.

Cameron Phelps can cover a few position but hopefully academy players will come through into those positions, Ainscough on the wing, Goulding at centre and in a few years Vievers at full back.

LeuLuai for me doesn't play his best rugby league at Wigan he is still young but I think the two best clubs are the best because they have good British half backs.

Carmont of course should stay at the club for a few years yet as he is one of the best players but he shouldn't get in the way of bringing some young player through. Carmont is 30 now so hopefully Wigan will have a ready made replacement waiting in the academy in 2 years.

Paleaaesina there a few good young English forwards coming into the game at the moment unfortunately not at Wigan unless Prescott and O'Carroll can come on along way this season. I think Wigan could cope with out Feka if they had a better pack.

Hansen is a very good player and is excellent in defence but we have only seen glimpses of what he is really capable in attack. If Wigan were forced to get rid of him there are plenty of up and coming second rowers to fill in.

Riddell might be the type of hooker who will get the best out of the Wigan forwards and at the moment there is no obvious replacement for him so he is worth keeping for a while.

Richards is Mr Consistency is just wish we had at least two of him so one could play at full back and one could play on the wing. Keeps in simple but effective.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

MrDave wrote:Personally I would like to see a Wigan team with very few overseas players so I have put them in order of which I would like to see the number of overseas players reduced.

Phil Bailey should go because Wigan have Hansen, Hock, Tomkins, Massop and even O'Loughlin for second row.

Tim Smith will be gone soon anyway so hopefully Sam Tomkins will become Wigan stand-off for a good 10-years or so.

Cameron Phelps can cover a few position but hopefully academy players will come through into those positions, Ainscough on the wing, Goulding at centre and in a few years Vievers at full back.

LeuLuai for me doesn't play his best rugby league at Wigan he is still young but I think the two best clubs are the best because they have good British half backs.

Carmont of course should stay at the club for a few years yet as he is one of the best players but he shouldn't get in the way of bringing some young player through. Carmont is 30 now so hopefully Wigan will have a ready made replacement waiting in the academy in 2 years.

Paleaaesina there a few good young English forwards coming into the game at the moment unfortunately not at Wigan unless Prescott and O'Carroll can come on along way this season. I think Wigan could cope with out Feka if they had a better pack.

Hansen is a very good player and is excellent in defence but we have only seen glimpses of what he is really capable in attack. If Wigan were forced to get rid of him there are plenty of up and coming second rowers to fill in.

Riddell might be the type of hooker who will get the best out of the Wigan forwards and at the moment there is no obvious replacement for him so he is worth keeping for a while.

Richards is Mr Consistency is just wish we had at least two of him so one could play at full back and one could play on the wing. Keeps in simple but effective.
good post
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Why start on the overseas players? Why not - Which yorkshire players do you want out the side first? Or black players etc

Racism at its worst. :angry: :angry:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Why start on the overseas players? Why not - Which yorkshire players do you want out the side first? Or black players etc

I don't think the post is being racist, I think the poster was referring to the amount of overseas players and who we could well do without to enable our own up and coming players from our academy a position in the team.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

My thoughts, Josie, is it is another thread to take a kick at the players no matter where they come from. The shortest list on the forum would be , "Which Players are fit to wear the Shirt and have yet to be knocked on this Forum"
Jim
Merry Christmas
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Lulu unless he is going to get a game at hooker, he definitely isn't a scrum-half!

Phelps he is just run of the mill.

Tim Smith - good player but a liability.

Feka has to stay because along with Prescott he is the only prop that makes hard yards down the middle.

Bailey needs to go and we need to replace him by a top class loose forward.

Riddell and Roberts (when he arrives) will be good for us.

Carmont's good for another couple of seasons, especially if he gets a Samoan passport.

Richard's is a must.

Hansen will improve with maturity, we need to get some size on him.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pieater-alex wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:Why start on the overseas players? Why not - Which yorkshire players do you want out the side first? Or black players etc

Do you even know what Racism means? Idiot.

By all means I was going to post another thread "which UK players would you like to see gone" along with this thread. After this post I might just do that. But my original intentions were with the recent failure from England and calls from various people in the media and fans to cut down on overseas players at club I was just seeing who we would like to see go from the club and replaced with an academy player. Afterall we have a lot of overseas players and a very successful academy so I thought the topic would be appropriate.
Completely agree. We have too many overseas players at the club at the moment and the reason it is a problem is it blocks the path of our juniors from our so called excellent productions line. I have never known this many overseas players here.

Nothing wrong with discussing which ones we'd like to keep or let go in the same way we have discussed just that with the likes of Higham, Calderwood and Colbon etc.

I am starting to get concerned S Tomkins will see little action in 2009 and may leave. He feels he is ready (read an article/interview about him in the Obbo when visiting my parents which was very good) and as he approaches 20 it's about time he got a good go in the side.

If Smith does not return and we sign Bird as is rumoured I am sure he will wonder what is going on.

There has also been an overseas quota for as long as I can remember. It was only three players as well but became completely ineffective with the EU Kolpak rule. The new club trained rules are an attempt to rectify this problem.

If we want an competitive International team we need these new rules to work and just like discussing which overseas players we want to keep/let go it isn't remotely racist either. If it is then we may as well call a halt to International RL as that must surely be racism at its height, with teams selected purely on racial lines!

Dave
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

pieater-alex wrote:

Do you even know what Racism means? Idiot.

By all means I was going to post another thread "which UK players would you like to see gone" along with this thread. After this post I might just do that. But my original intentions were with the recent failure from England and calls from various people in the media and fans to cut down on overseas players at club I was just seeing who we would like to see go from the club and replaced with an academy player. Afterall we have a lot of overseas players and a very successful academy so I thought the topic would be appropriate.
Thank you for getting very personal for calling me an "idiot" - you moron!

If your intention was to debate all players, whether overseas or not and their qualities or not within the team, then why did you not do so originally? To make your pathetic excuse after I complained is feeble and inexcusable, your derogatory name-calling of me DESERVED my response - for that is what you are. After your original post and your specific targeting of just the overseas players - it is you that doesn't know the meaning of racism.

Highland convert is correct in his assessment, you never stated in your original post anything about wanting to promote juniors as your excuse for your bile, just a "they don't deserve to play for wigan" rant!!! You do not deserve any more of my time, I do not continue to debate with morons.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: