Strong Wigan Warriors side take on Warrington Wolves' young guns

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Strong Wigan Warriors side take on Warrington Wolves' young guns

Post by josie andrews »

WARRINGTON Wolves' young guns will face a strong Wigan Warriors side in their festive friendly.

While Jimmy Lowes has named an inexperienced squad for Sunday's game at The Halliwell Jones, kick off 3pm, Wigan include a handful of frontline stars.

Big name winter signing Mark Riddell, who arrived at the club from Parramatta Eels last week, will make his debut for the club at hooker.

Also appearing in cherry and white colours for the first time will be former Bradford Bulls star Karl Pryce.

The 22-year-old returned to rugby league with Wigan at the start of last season after 12 months with Gloucester Rugby Union Club but failed to make an appearance in 2008 due to injury.

He starts on the right wing in a talented back line that also includes former Wolves player Richie Mathers, Darrell Goulding and George Carmont.

Battering ram Iafeta Paleaaesina and Andy Coley accompany Riddell in the front row, while Joel Tomkins starts in the second row.

Captain Sean O'Loughlin will also make his comeback from the shoulder injury that kept him out of England's squad for the Rugby League World Cup.

Wigan side to face Warrington on Sunday: Richard Mathers; Karl Pryce, Darrell Goulding, George Carmont, Shaun Ainscough; Cameron Phelps, Sam Tomkins; Andy Coley, Mark Riddell, Iafeta Paleaaesina, Joel Tomkins, Mark Flanagan, Sean O'Loughlin.

Subs: Michael McIlorum, Eamon O'Carroll, Liam Farrell, Ben Davies, Ian Thornley, Stuart Howarth,Josh Veivers.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/spo ... oung_guns/

Well we know that St Patrick and Lulu won't be playing 'cos of world cup duties and only due back at the end of the month but why is Fielden not in this line-up???
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MrDave

Re: Strong Wigan Warriors side take on Warrington Wolves' young guns

Post by MrDave »

josie andrews wrote: Wigan side to face Warrington on Sunday: Richard Mathers; Karl Pryce, Darrell Goulding, George Carmont, Shaun Ainscough; Cameron Phelps, Sam Tomkins; Andy Coley, Mark Riddell, Iafeta Paleaaesina, Joel Tomkins, Mark Flanagan, Sean O'Loughlin.

Subs: Michael McIlorum, Eamon O'Carroll, Liam Farrell, Ben Davies, Ian Thornley, Stuart Howarth,Josh Veivers.

why is Fielden not in this line-up???
Perhaps Noble has finally seen the light and realised he is awful.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ainscough and Flanagan playing because those two could easily step up to the first team this season. The young players on the bench will give a glimpse of whats to come in the next few years.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Good let's give 'em a good tattering! The more pre-season games our first team get the better we will start the season. Past years has seen us slip out of contention in the first two months!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
tom g

Post by tom g »

Good to see the young lads will get a game. After seeing a few of the academy and reserve games last year I think there is some really good talent for the future. Don't know about anyone else but I think Davies will do well, strong runner with great footwork for a prop.
faz13

Post by faz13 »

got family in warrington and we are very competitive couldnt stand going and losing even in friendly still txting them over the last victory over them, saw squad and thought no way we gona win but you never no and i have no money left after xmas in fact im still paying for last xmas
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I wouldnt worry, unfortunately you can't read too much into this team. I'd be very surprised if the likes of Flanagan, Ainscough, S Tompkins get much more than a couple of games between them this season.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

loun

Post by loun »

no we won we are small and big guns so ha.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

loun wrote:no we won we are small and big guns so ha.
:eusa16:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

viva_seddo13

Post by viva_seddo13 »

pieater-alex wrote:
Nobby`s Girl wrote:Bailey? :conf:
I was wondering where he was. No-one on rlfans seems to know. I pressume he's either still in Australia or carrying an injury.
Bailey was watching the game with richards,carmont, mossop,hansen and prescott
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

He probably offered not to play to give some of the younger lads a game.
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!