Did Silverwood & his TJs Cheat?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Did Silverwood & his TJs Cheat?

Post by cpwigan »

I rate Silverwood the best referee in RL. He normally referees in a calm sensible manner but as with all 4 games whether or not he is acting under instructions what happened wasn't cricket so to speak.

The penalties were awarded one way for the full 80. However after mkistakenly awarding Wigan a drop out and we then scored he seemed hell bent of evening the game up. The penalty count was a joke but wat I cannot stomach is a referee I rate then alarmingly missing Kyle Eastmond tipping his own chip into Hoffman despite being stood yards away. Worse was to follow when a pass 34 yards forward led to the equalising try. Not withstanding that debacle, he even tried to gift Saints a victory at the end with a totally incorrect decision.

Kittwazzer

Re: Did Silverwood & his TJs Cheat?

Post by Kittwazzer »

Taste of things to come I fear!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cherry they changed the rules and ignored the old ones. Paul Prescott for example cannot be penalised for a high tackle on a falling ducking player.

You can look through the game and Wigan were penalised for penalties that Saints were not. Why? Trust me if the referee only penalises one team it does not matter how good you are. The 82 and 86 Kangaroos struggled in France.

As KW says this IMO is a taste of things to come and I for one will not be watching it. Christ even the Union was better than the nonsense served up x 4 in RL today
matt3009

Post by matt3009 »

it would be interesting to hear what other fans had to say about yesterday (not just the teams that lost) as to the officiating,i was sat by a few hull kr fans and they were genuinely concerned about their game today and that it could be decided by the officials and not the players :conf:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Terry Matterson and John Kear were both unhappy. I can fully understand the Hull KR fans POV.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan wrote:I rate Silverwood the best referee in RL. He normally referees in a calm sensible manner but as with all 4 games whether or not he is acting under instructions what happened wasn't cricket so to speak.

The penalties were awarded one way for the full 80. However after mkistakenly awarding Wigan a drop out and we then scored he seemed hell bent of evening the game up. The penalty count was a joke but wat I cannot stomach is a referee I rate then alarmingly missing Kyle Eastmond tipping his own chip into Hoffman despite being stood yards away. Worse was to follow when a pass 34 yards forward led to the equalising try. Not withstanding that debacle, he even tried to gift Saints a victory at the end with a totally incorrect decision.
Watch it again. Even if it was 3 or 4 yards ! forward that was because Goulding got his hand to it in a dispairing effort to intercept/knock it down.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

The TJ who came on with his flag to report Joel (towards the end), is young Tim Roby, from Wigan & a Warriors long time supporter ! Can't blame officials for this - our indiscipline was not good & often the usual 'suspects' at fault. Must learn not to concede penalties just because under pressure, or get frustrated, and stay focussed.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Nezza Faz wrote:The TJ who came on with his flag to report Joel (towards the end), is young Tim Roby, from Wigan & a Warriors long time supporter ! Can't blame officials for this - our indiscipline was not good & often the usual 'suspects' at fault. Must learn not to concede penalties just because under pressure, or get frustrated, and stay focussed.
Very true Nezza. Joel is his own worst enemy at times.
The problem with refs and tj's is this consistency thing. Most of what they picked Wigan up for did happen but they appeared to miss loads of Saints infractions, or let them go.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Would be more annoyed if I was a Bradford fan today. Never seen a penalty try given like that.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

We can be our own worst enemies at times. Sure the referee made mistakes - he's human like the rest of us. But we gave away a good lead by poor discipline. Once that starts you can hardly blame the referee for not giving us the benefit of any doubt. We'd manoevered ourselves into that position by poor respect for the laws of the game.
With the normal paranoia of the true fan of course we see things our way. But I don't believe there's bias in the officiating, and referees are always an easy target when things haven't gone your own way.
Still it's a lot better start to a season than a loss, and there's no doubt that Saints were a lot lot better than the team they took to Old Trafford.

But a point lost may be a cheap price to pay for a lesson learned!
Stevethegas