I blame Deacon,

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

I blame Deacon,

Post by ian.birchall »

last time he went off injured we lost a vital match. He is obviously much more vital to the team than we numpties give him credit for, apart from his organisational skills we missed his kicking both at goal and in field, as a result we did not have enough of the ball and our defence ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes after an hour of total domination.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Re: I blame Deacon,

Post by cpwigan »

We certainly missed Deacs but as Cherry says it showed how important Finch will be once he is fit. I have to say if neither are fit I would give Sam Powell an opportunity. He control a game like an old fashioned 7 would and has an excellent kicking game.
Brad5926

Post by Brad5926 »

i think we missed the fact our pack was full of forwards and we had no replacement back, if this would have been the case sam could maybe have slipped to SO and a quick re jig could have a better potential to work.

As i was watching the game with alot of mates i didnt watch the game as indepth as i would have liked but im guessing that when deacon went off that O'loughlin went to SO?

He is an average stand in 6 but still a back on the bench would have been nice
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

As soon as deacs went off I knew we were in trouble, without any natural halfback to replace - just no organisation from the scrum base upwards, & saints really played on this. We were a shambles even on our own scrum feed and all that defence knackered them - how many tries did we save in our try line/in-goal area - lost count. You just cant defend for 70% without possession at this level.
If Amos had played, I think we'd have gone on with it - 'cos sam could have gone to half & roberts to fullback.
Just a pity we were so down on numbers but still optimistic for the season (if that's as bad as it gets !)
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Nezza Faz wrote:As soon as deacs went off I knew we were in trouble, without any natural halfback to replace - just no organisation from the scrum base upwards, & saints really played on this. We were a shambles even on our own scrum feed and all that defence knackered them - how many tries did we save in our try line/in-goal area - lost count. You just cant defend for 70% without possession at this level.
If Amos had played, I think we'd have gone on with it - 'cos sam could have gone to half & roberts to fullback.
Just a pity we were so down on numbers but still optimistic for the season (if that's as bad as it gets !)
What game were you watching? No organisation and a shambles, we were 16 nil up for 65 minutes of the game and only lost due to a ream of pens in the last 10 minutes
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

From A to B - was watching game after Deacs went off & our handling became a liability.
Two of the tries we scored were down to amateur fumbles by Gardner & Meli from kicks.
We had looked good early with a full complement on board - that is why i said we would have won, IMO, if Sam had been able to go to half back.
At one of our scrum feeds,Lockers playing at 7, had the ball taken from him directly at the scrum; how often do you see that?
Needless to say, he didn't go to 7 again & anyyone else seemed to have a go.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

Ball from the scrum,isn't that the one where the ref blew and we re-took it?
Still confident that with 4 or 5 key players out,the season is ours for the taking
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

A to B yes, we got lucky there because saints then immediately knocked on. If not, we'd have been camped on our line yet again.

Definitely agree with you about the players missing and still only 1st match of season, so handling will improve with game-time. It looks like defence has been the main priority in training so far, which would mirror the approach of last season. It's just that they had to do too much defence.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

FROM A TO B wrote:Ball from the scrum,isn't that the one where the ref blew and we re-took it?
Still confident that with 4 or 5 key players out,the season is ours for the taking
Which 4 or 5 key players were out?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
FROM A TO B wrote:Ball from the scrum,isn't that the one where the ref blew and we re-took it?
Which 4 or 5 key players were out?
Fielden, Finch, Roberts and Richards and Deacon off injured?