Salford v Wigan Reaction

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Salford v Wigan Reaction

Post by ancientnloyal »

Tries Hansen, Leuluai 2, Mossop, Charnley, Goulding Goals Deacon 4

good win for us against a spirited Salford side... great away following although 400 less than last year! Must have been 3,000 Wiganers or so. Tomkins played well at fullback he's more regularly starting to do the basic's right first and foremost, all we can expect from him each week
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
THE 18th Man

Re: Salford v Wigan Reaction

Post by THE 18th Man »

Salfords support is shocking. a good morale booster after last week but not as flowing as other matches. i think the ref only gave us two penalties all match and 1 of them was because Salford kicked it out on the full. he didnt have a good 2nd half.
Tommy played well and i was impressed by Marsh and Charnley who were thrown in there tonight. Sam kept leaving high balls which is worrying and lets hope he works on it next week. overall a good performance after last week and now with a couple of days off they can recover fully from a hetic week and stressful 24 hours
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

2 points and job done I suppose. A solid performance in what was always going to be difficult under the circumstances.

Hansen had a really good hour, tommy and sam always threatening. Generally our defence was good but our long kicking game is shocking. Sam is definately being targetted under the high ball in the absence of paddy and needs to work on it.

Great crunch from carmont on I think broughton to put him in touch.

I've tried not to be biased at all and I'm convinced we were on the wrong end of some poor penalty calls from child. It does make me think if all this wrestling technique that other managers moan about has got in the ref's ear as he wasn't using the same rules for both teams! penalties again killed us, all their tires came off pens conceeded in our own half/20.

For Salford I thought Cashmere had a good game and I rate him, big powerful and good off load. I think he burst through prekky and hansen to get a good offload away and then lockers got penalised which lead to their 1st try.

Good done and players get a rest before Hull at home next Sunday.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cherry.pie wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:Tries Hansen, Leuluai 2, Mossop, Charnley, Goulding Goals Deacon 4

good win for us against a spirited Salford side... great away following although 400 less than last year! Must have been 3,000 Wiganers or so. Tomkins played well at fullback he's more regularly starting to do the basic's right first and foremost, all we can expect from him each week
I thought Tomkins had an absolute shocker! Came into the game a bit later on but he was appalling under the high ball.
Spot on. Our kicking game continues to be poor, Smith was far more effective. TL was my MOM.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

Decent win, after the disappointment of last week it was just important to pick up the two points. Salford was not great but they did put up a good effort. with their best players being Cashmere and Pattern and Smith kicking well

Our kicking was again poor for the most part. We need to improve on that.

Pluses for me tonight were Leluai (mom), Marsh, Charnley and Joel Tomkins did well when he came on.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure if we do already but a top drawer kicking coach is a must. We once had Dave Aldred and he coached Joe Lydon who was the longest kicker we have had in recent times. I would not mind if the players got the ball to hit the ground much earlier or even grubber it old fashioned style. Finch may make a big difference. I am convinced Sam T can kick it. Tommy less so and Deacs used to but has to be very careful now in terms of injuries.

We were never going to be on fire so soon after the WCC. A win is a win.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote: We were never going to be on fire so soon after the WCC. A win is a win.
And the lads have a well earned 9 day breather before they kick some Hull ass! :lol:
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Good win in all the circumstances - obvious Salford's tactics were to hoof the ball high into the gloom - their 'lights' (candles) were shocking, compared to most grounds, especially DW. No Fullback can see into a pitch black abyss & Tomkins would have probably felt more comfortable in covering a bouncing ball once its landed - albeit not perfect tactics. Every Salford play ended with this high ball tactic, and you could see they hadn't much more to offer, it was going to be there best way to unsettle us. Just a pity our kicking game didnt include this play - I agree with all the comments about our own standard, its one of our major deficiencies.

Agree with refereeing too - very poor in 2nd half & very different from the WCC officiating.
But in the end, its 2 pts won, some of the younger guys had a very useful runout - very young team to begin with - and now a good long week preparation till Hull.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

11 of our 17 were our Academy products - that's the best sign for me.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Mr Stu wrote:Decent win, after the disappointment of last week it was just important to pick up the two points. Salford was not great but they did put up a good effort. with their best players being Cashmere and Pattern and Smith kicking well

Our kicking was again poor for the most part. We need to improve on that.

Pluses for me tonight were Leluai (mom), Marsh, Charnley and Joel Tomkins did well when he came on.

Why was Leuluais mum playing?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.