Ins and outs of 2013

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Ins and outs of 2013

Post by ian.birchall »

Well we still have 4 convicts on the books, Richards, Luaki' Green and Gelling. Not the quality we once had but if we really are paying Sam Tomkins the reported £300k/annum it doesn't leave a lot for top class Aussies who with the new TV deal down under and the increased salary cap can make a lot more there so I think we have seen the end of top name Aussies coming over.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
rdownes9

Post by rdownes9 »

Our season has been over less that 48 hours, and already there's doom and gloom about next season?? I'm getting deja vu from this time last year. get a grip people for christ sake. We have had a great season, had very few poor games, and had to get by without the likes of Tommy and Pat for long periods. There's been some real promise shown from the young lads, and the likes of Micky Mac has improved massively, Matty Smith has got better with every game.

Take the winter off people, sit back, put them feet up, and stop all your worrying and doom and gloom please! You're saying that all the transfer activity is over, before the season has even ended??? Listen to yourselves and realise how stupid you sound.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

rdownes9 wrote:Our season has been over less that 48 hours, and already there's doom and gloom about next season?? I'm getting deja vu from this time last year. get a grip people for christ sake. We have had a great season, had very few poor games, and had to get by without the likes of Tommy and Pat for long periods. There's been some real promise shown from the young lads, and the likes of Micky Mac has improved massively, Matty Smith has got better with every game.

Take the winter off people, sit back, put them feet up, and stop all your worrying and doom and gloom please! You're saying that all the transfer activity is over, before the season has even ended??? Listen to yourselves and realise how stupid you sound.
Why do you think this season has been a great season?

Transfer activity has ended other than Taylor. There is not enough room in the cap.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

cpwigan wrote:
rdownes9 wrote:Our season has been over less that 48 hours, and already there's doom and gloom about next season?? I'm getting deja vu from this time last year. get a grip people for christ sake. We have had a great season, had very few poor games, and had to get by without the likes of Tommy and Pat for long periods. There's been some real promise shown from the young lads, and the likes of Micky Mac has improved massively, Matty Smith has got better with every game.

Transfer activity has ended other than Taylor. There is not enough room in the cap.

How do you know that CP?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Why do we think that any transfer activity is over and done with if we sign Taylor.

We're losing Carmont, Finch, Leuluai, Lima, Fielden plus unconfirmed as yet King and Russell.

So far we've recruited Thornley and Smith during this season, plus the only confirmed signing close season has been Green.

I can't see how Green and Smith could command contracts close to Tommy & Finchy given with what they've achieved in comparison.

At the most I can only see Thornley getting a similar deal to George's and surely Taylor if we do get him can't command the combined contracts of Fielden and Lima.

If there's no further recruitment the sums just don't seem to stack up ... surely there has to be further deals in the pipeline as we're losing a hell of a lot of experience.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

ancientnloyal wrote:
southernpie wrote:So for next season we are looking at a first 13 something like:
Sam - wigan trained
Josh - wigan
Daz - wigan
I Thornley - wigan
Pat - aussie
Green - aussie
Smith - well...
Prezza - wigan
Micky Mac - wigan/leeds
Moz - cumbria/wigan
H - wigan
Gaz - wigan
Lockers - wigan
Uh-oh, it's nice to have so many wiganers BUT no great Wigan team, ever, has been successful without top rate aussies or new zealanders. Leuluai (world cup, tri/four nations, harry sunderland, CC) brett finch, hoffman, lima are recent ones to go.

Oh dear.
Then again thinking about what was said in another thread about Leeds core being from Leeds look at their side
Hardaker, BJB, Watkins, Ablett, Hall, Sinfield, Maguire, Peacock, Burrow/Lunt, Leuluei, JJB, Delaney, Bailey there's only two convicts in there and you could swap Griffin for Leuluei and Kirke or Clarkson for Delaney
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

How do you know that CP?
Somebody I trust and has not to my knowledge been wrong told me so. I have no reason to doubt it. I know people are saying but we have released X, Y and Z but we will also be increasing existing contracts too. Josh was on a very poor contract, his contract will be rising significantly.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

100% Warrior wrote:Why do we think that any transfer activity is over and done with if we sign Taylor.

We're losing Carmont, Finch, Leuluai, Lima, Fielden plus unconfirmed as yet King and Russell.

So far we've recruited Thornley and Smith during this season, plus the only confirmed signing close season has been Green.

I can't see how Green and Smith could command contracts close to Tommy & Finchy given with what they've achieved in comparison.

At the most I can only see Thornley getting a similar deal to George's and surely Taylor if we do get him can't command the combined contracts of Fielden and Lima.

If there's no further recruitment the sums just don't seem to stack up ... surely there has to be further deals in the pipeline as we're losing a hell of a lot of experience.
Yes that is why I asked the question. It does defy logic even accounting for the fact we need to upgrade some of the youngsters contracts. Any thoughts CP?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

cpwigan wrote:If we sign Taylor that will be it. The rest will come from what we already have. Whatsmore, Sam will leave when he becomes free to negotiate.
If thats it then we might as well forget next season, not enough quality by half. This year we managed to muck it up with a much stronger squad and we need to look for a new coach after Wanes contract runs out I cant see him doing anything with this average side next season and we would be very silly to extend his contract lenigen needs to look again at the NRL for a coach and line him up for 2014. We should consider selling SAM at the end of next season and get a good pay out for him rather than let go for nothing. We will have to learn to live without him anyway and letting him go one season early and getting a good pay out to me seems to make sense
Andrew0604

Post by Andrew0604 »

It is unlikely that any SL clubs will make big name aussie signings this year, it is not only the new salary cap but the pound to australian dollar exchange rate is so low that the money offered here does not look attractive. Coming to SL for a couple of years is no longer a boost to their pension fund