Ins and outs of 2013

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
100% Warrior

Re: Ins and outs of 2013

Post by 100% Warrior »

I think that players need to be a chance to show what they can offer to the club before any criticism starts up.

Reputation really doesn't mean that much, how many of us had heard of George before he signed for us?

Not many I should imagine but look at what an amazing signing he turned out to be.

Names mean nothing to me, it's the performance out on the field that counts at the end of the day.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

There are some really negative posts on this thread. I look at the players leaving and the ones coming in and I'm quite optimistic.

I've said before that tommy received quite a few negative posts pre the McGuire era, I think has started better and he wasn't allowed to dis thing next to finch.

Finch had a poor start and a poor finish, for a guy who only did 2 seasons, he houldn't be hard to replace . Read RLFANS and Green gets some very good reports, playing for a poor team with poor runners.

Now I'm going to struggle to say anything negative about George, the perfect centre and a massive loss, but he's been struggling for a couple of seasons and it gives Thornley the perfect chance to work on his game with a very experienced winger.

And as for Fielden then being replaced by the highly sought Taylor then this can also only be a good thing.

So at the moment I' very optimistic and really looking forward to next year.

As for the new poster, your post sounded like a lot of the rubbish written on the Wigan Today forum, which is usually trolls from each club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:There are some really negative posts on this thread. I look at the players leaving and the ones coming in and I'm quite optimistic.

I've said before that tommy received quite a few negative posts pre the McGuire era, I think has started better and he wasn't allowed to dis thing next to finch.

Finch had a poor start and a poor finish, for a guy who only did 2 seasons, he houldn't be hard to replace . Read RLFANS and Green gets some very good reports, playing for a poor team with poor runners.

Now I'm going to struggle to say anything negative about George, the perfect centre and a massive loss, but he's been struggling for a couple of seasons and it gives Thornley the perfect chance to work on his game with a very experienced winger.

And as for Fielden then being replaced by the highly sought Taylor then this can also only be a good thing.

So at the moment I' very optimistic and really looking forward to next year.
Well the cherry n white specs are certainly on here.

Including the now almost bog standard justification that Finch was actually totally crap and Tommy wasn't that good when he started so the fact he is now makes no odds. In case you forgot Richard's was also crap for several seasons. Apparently.

Who else has left? George. Well he can be replaced by a rookie because the ex-crap Richards will make that OK.

As to the "much sought after" Taylor. Really? I am happy to accept the lad has potential but in case you missed it I have a problem where our new signings or replacements from within are justified on the back of slagging off players who have done well for this club.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

platt-warrior - Could you please define 'a Troll'? I wouldn't like to be one and not be aware of it.
E.& O.E.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Ron Doran wrote:platt-warrior - Could you please define 'a Troll'? I wouldn't like to be one and not be aware of it.
An 'internet troll' is someone who generally goes onto a website and post derogatory things about anything. It can be any website but in this case the possible troll is someone who has not posted before and posts negative comments. Trolls generally do this to annoy people rather than for any constructive reason.

You are not a troll. If you went onto redvee and started spouting off about something though, they would accuse you of being one.

Hope that clears it up.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Thats it,took the words right out of my mouth. :wink:
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

Kiwiseddon & platt-warrior - thanks to you both. I have said to myself 50 times 'I am not a Troll' will sleep better tonight.
E.& O.E.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nothing with the odd bit of trolling under the right circumstances, you get some hilarious reactions on youtube from over the top yanks
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I don't think guernica was trolling. If he is a Wigan fan he's as entitled to his opinion as anyone else.

As for it being a poor first post, it was also probably his last if the welcome he received is anything to go by!
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

100% Warrior wrote:I think that players need to be a chance to show what they can offer to the club before any criticism starts up.

Reputation really doesn't mean that much, how many of us had heard of George before he signed for us?

Not many I should imagine but look at what an amazing signing he turned out to be.

Names mean nothing to me, it's the performance out on the field that counts at the end of the day.
George did have a good reputation when we signed him - so much so that the Newcastle Knights fans got up a petition to try and keep him that was well supported. Just because his column inches didn't equal Mark Gasniers doesn't mean he wasn't well respected.

I'm prepared to wait and see how we get on next year, but big player staff changes to a squad are usually a bad thing. It takes time for players and creative players in particular to gel. It's been Wigans experience and the same at Hull and Salford. In recent history, all the sucessful teams have managed their teams with stability at 1,6,7,9 & 13 with perhaps 2-3 changes in major players in a year. If you ship 6 in and 6 out, you're taking a gamble on maintaining your core identity and culture.

I think this a problem that Leeds are about to face because the core of their Team is Peacock(35) / Mcguire (30) / Burrows (30?) & Sinfield (32). All of these players are getting close to the end of their careers and they are approaching a vacuum at the heart of their squad.