Ins and outs of 2013

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Ins and outs of 2013

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Somebody I trust and has not to my knowledge been wrong told me so. I have no reason to doubt it. I know people are saying but we have released X, Y and Z but we will also be increasing existing contracts too. Josh was on a very poor contract, his contract will be rising significantly.
Also, Mickey Mac's value will have gone up a lot for the new contract he signed this year - gone from being no.2 / interchange to being 1st choice 80min hooker during the term of his last contract.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Not enough room in the cap to sign anybody apart from Taylor if he comes.
I see where your coming from with this, but Fieldens value on the cap is surely a very large amount alone.
Finch's amount wont be trivial as surely as with Lima and Tommy.
surely this is sufficient to cover Taylor, Smith, Green and Thornley with more room under the cap ?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Not enough room in the cap to sign anybody apart from Taylor if he comes.
I see where your coming from with this, but Fieldens value on the cap is surely a very large amount alone.
Finch's amount wont be trivial as surely as with Lima and Tommy.
surely this is sufficient to cover Taylor, Smith, Green and Thornley with more room under the cap ?
I'm with you on this PM.

I doubt that IL is one for giving massive contracts out irrespective of players deserving them. "If" this is the sum of our ability to sign players, then Wigan will not have used the salary cap to the max - just spent what they wanted to on the players available

And don't forget, with the "live" cap, the club had to be under the cap to sign Smith and Thornley this season (losing Amos was given as the reason for the cap space then)
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Depends how contracts are structured. Some may be back ended and start off relatively low rising to their peak in the final year etc.

The likes of Smith will receive higher salaries next season. Green will not be cheap nor will Taylor.

Nobody knows how Sam Tomkins contract works. We do know it goes against what IL used to say that he would never allow another Trent to take a big slice of the money well SAm even with RFL does.
bocco

Post by bocco »

the other problem with getting ausssies over is the exchange rate the £ does not buy many Aussie $ anymore.I'd like us to sign a good quality forward & I tend to agree with need a stand out leader on the park
guernica84

Post by guernica84 »

Wake up, we need half backs, not forwards. The pack is reasonably solid but without good half backs, you can't win anything. Similarly, with an average pack and good half backs, it seems that Winos can win "championships".

Smith wasn't good enough for Saints, how on earth is he good enough for Wigan? OK, he was understudy to Sean long but the guy is nowhere near silverware winning standard. Blake Green scraped together appearances in the NRL. If we're going to sign Aussie halves, they need to have at least played Origin or have a good history of playing in GFs for very strong sides. Replacing Finch and Tommy with Smith and Green is like using Pritt Stik instead of cement. There's no way the current signings take us to the cap, despite the exchange rate, if they do then we've paid way over the odds. I hate to say it but I think a return to mid-table mediocrity that has been a feature of a large part of our time in the summer era is on the cards.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Here we are again, end of season doom & gloom posters :(

Wait until the new season starts & the players have had their pre training & a few games before saying they are rubbish.

Perhaps playing in mediocre teams doesn't inspire or allow a good player to perform well!

I know for a fact, Matty Smith was offered a great deal more money to go to play for Saints & Widnes, a lot more than Wigan are paying him but as he says, money isn't everything & he wanted to play for us.

Give him & the rest of the players a break :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

A poor first post,possibly a troll Josie.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

platt-warrior wrote:A poor first post,possibly a troll Josie.
You're more than likely right PW. It just gets my goat up when the season has just ended & posters are already slamming players for next :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Especially when they post,"ive not seen him ....but" :conf: