SW...and next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kol

SW...and next season

Post by Kol »

We need a decent coach; SW is a superb assistant, but doesn't have the motivational psychological skills to win the players over from the neck up (something Madge had in bucketfuls).

All this talk of playing staff, let me ask you a question;

Would you rather have a Lion leading a bunch of sheep, or a sheep leading a bunch of lions?

SW had a team of champions last season that simply chocked at the last fence on 2 occasions; do you blame the players? or the Whip?

Now, we have lost our key Half Backs amongst others, it's vital we have a solid coach that get in to the heads of the players.

Every time SW was interviewed post match all he could string together was the same line "We talked about desire".

In Soccer, they invest in Sports Psychologists as winning is proven to start from the neck up. We may not have the funding to get a top SP in the club, but we should get a coach capable of a similar sort of skill.

Let's see how the season goes, but, when we are 8th mid season, my point will be proven.

PS I hope I'm wrong.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
No straw damn us

Re: SW...and next season

Post by No straw damn us »

Kol wrote:We need a decent coach; SW is a superb assistant, but doesn't have the motivational psychological skills to win the players over from the neck up (something Madge had in bucketfuls).

Would you rather have a Lion leading a bunch of sheep, or a sheep leading a bunch of lions?

SW had a team of champions last season that simply chocked at the last fence on 2 occasions; do you blame the players? or the Whip?

Now, we have lost our key Half Backs amongst others, it's vital we have a solid coach that get in to the heads of the players.

Every time SW was interviewed post match all he could string together was the same line "We talked about desire".

In Soccer, they invest in Sports Psychologists as winning is proven to start from the neck up. We may not have the funding to get a top SP in the club, but we should get a coach capable of a similar sort of skill.

Let's see how the season goes, but, when we are 8th mid season, my point will be proven.

PS I hope I'm wrong.
We already have a Sports Psychologist at the club, the same one that was here when Maguire was coach. Don't forget that under Maguire we also lost to Leeds in the CC and lost to Saints twice in the play offs.
Kol

Post by Kol »

I know the club has a SP, but not to the extent of the Premier League, NFL etc, and never will; RL as a game doesn't have the cash.

Although we lost to Saints & CC, we at least won both trophies during Madges stint at the club. It's not about us winning every trophy every year (would be nice!) but at least having a chance to have the correct preparation by someone that knows how to make a team win.

This is where my doubts about SW are.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
haz1

Post by haz1 »

me and my dad were both discussing this before and i totally agree with what you wrote. My honest opinion i don't think we will be a competitive team next season.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am surprised that nobody has yet said "shut up and support your club etc etc..."
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

haz1 wrote:me and my dad were both discussing this before and i totally agree with what you wrote. My honest opinion i don't think we will be a competitive team next season.
Inclined to agree but more because of the major changes in personnel rather than SW as coach. It will only be his second year in the job agter all!
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kol wrote:We need a decent coach; SW is a superb assistant, but doesn't have the motivational psychological skills to win the players over from the neck up (something Madge had in bucketfuls).

PS I hope I'm wrong.
Think you're being a bit harsh on Waney here Kol.

In his first season in charge and despite losing key players from the season before, we came top of the pile. At times we played some brilliant rugby best I've seen in years. Agreed, we were poo in some games but overall I'd say Wane has done well and deserves to stay at the helm.

As for being 8th mid season, have a look were Leeds where mid season least year.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Tad premature to comment either way IMO given it is pre season.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

You get the same type of comment every close season!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:Tad premature to comment either way IMO given it is pre season.
Spot on. However I do think that there are a few Wigan fans who would take a bit of delight if Wane fails You know the "I knew he was never up to the job" ones. IMO if he doesn't deliver at least one trophy this year then IL may not extend his contract and I'd be very sorry to see Wane lost to the club if this happens.