Lucky NZ

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John M

Lucky NZ

Post by John M »

Out played for most of the game and they still win with such a convincing scorline.I thought in the first half especially,GB totally dominated them.It was their defence that kept them in the game and GBs inabilty to get over the line.I thought Deacons kicking was poor and didnt put them under enough pressure whilst i thought Barrie McDermott looked out of his depth at this level.Indeed he is a very aggressive player but he makes too many mistakes and misses too many tackles for my liking.Connolly did a great job at the back whilst Fielden was my MOTM before he was took out with the head! Shame for Pratt because his play in general was quite good but his inabilty to catch the ball let him and GB down in the end.
Heres my ratings.

Connolly-8
Pryce-7
Gleeson-7
Senior-7
Pratt-7
Sinfield-7
Deacon-7
Fielden-9
Cunningham-7-Best in the world???????
McDermott-6
Morley-7
Farrell-7
Forshaw-6

Anderson-7
Peacock-7
Gilmour-7
Joynt-7

IMO what GB need is Terry O'Connor,Sean Long and Paul Sculthorpe.Remove Mcdermott,Sinfield and Forshaw from the team,they are all not quite good enough.We need more creative players to actually sprise open the NZ defence.For most of the game we had them contained in their own half but failed to get enough points on the board.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
Fraggle

GB ratings

Post by Fraggle »

I wasn't there, just watched it on tv, and the ratings seem pretty reasonable to me although I was very disappointed with Senior and Gleason and would probably have taken a point off them the two of them and Pratt. As you say John, some of Pratt's game going forward was good but to fall for the same trick with the kick over the top twice in 5 minutes is unforgivable for a winger, and his general positioning in defence looked weak.

No arguments with the forwards, except I don't recall Joynt actually doing anything whilst on the field, but then that's nothing new. Why didn't Waite bring Gilmour on sooner, he looked very sharp off the bench at the end?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Welski

No place for that in RL.

Post by Welski »

I have one thing to say about the game...
Jerry Seu Seu more like See you See you.

What he did to Stuart Fieldon was nothing short of criminal assault.

I thought at first it was an accident but in the slow mo you see the intent. He seemed to try and bite him in the face on the way down and rounded it off by head butting him again whilst Fieldon was unconscious on the turf.

I think what then incensed the players (Morley/Faz)even further was the way he stood there and laughed as Fieldon was lead from the pitch.

I know its billed as the toughest sport on the planet but 'players' who target the head in that fashion will end up killing someone.

The guy should be made an example of and banned from the game end of story.

Apart from that I enjoyed the match as a game although its a shame our best players are missing (as usual)through injury.

Connolly did a good job at full back but he was badly missed in the centre not only is he still the best defensive centre around but he would have freed our only decent winger Senior to play out wide. I fear Wigan will miss him next year too!!

All in all you summed it up about right John ...ton of possession in the first half particularly but no-one with enough class to unlock a well organised defence.

Scores on the doors...

Connolly-8
Pryce-5
Senior-6
Pratt- 4
Sinfield-7
Deacon-7
Fielden-9
Cunningham-6
McDermott-6
Morley-7
Farrell-7
Forshaw-6

Anderson-7
Peacock-7
Gilmour-7
Joynt-5
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Mike
Site Admin

Accident?

Post by Mike »

It did lok like an acident on first viewing though, and that's all the ref gets.

I thought he gave himself away by continuing to head butt the guy after he was on the ground.

Lets face it though, we lost the match on the wings (and when Chris Joynt came on for his regular stint at missing tackles). I rather we had an inexperienced youngster on the wing than a Leeds reject. At least it would be more forward looking.

On the other hand, do we have any other retired players that can do as good a job as Connolly...
How about Billy Boston bringing experience, ability and pace back to the Great Britain wing, any suggestions....
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
John M

Connolly

Post by John M »

At the end of the day Connolly may well be slower,older and not quite as quick of mind as he was but he is a still a class player.Didnt anyone else think he still looked a league above most of the other guys out there? The man is as safe as houses and is never afraid to get stuck in and play the game hard.I feel he may still have another year or two left in him.You just dont let class players like Gary go,you get as much from them as possible.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
jobo

You've scored it right but

Post by jobo »

Can't really call the Kiwis lucky, any more than you can call the Aussies lucky. If they hadn't made so many handling errors and a few juvenile mistakes, GB would have been on the end of a very seriuos hiding. Think you scored the GB players about right, especially the forwards, which is of course exactly were the kiwis dominated. Player for player, maybe Connolly, Gleeson and Peacock were capable of matching the kiwis. All the rest were simply outdone by better players.