To all the Farrell knockers......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
John M

Positions?

Post by John M »

Dave,would you move Farrell to the second row at Wigan now?

It is clear from these stats that Andy Farrell gets through more work in the second row.It also shows that he has concentrated on playing a forwards game rather than trying to do the playmaking.

I would like to see his passes given and Kicks in general play for this series and last years when he was at Loose Forward.I bet he passed the ball much more and did more kicking last year.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
DaveO

Re: Positions

Post by DaveO »

I don't think Farrell should go to second row at Wigan unless O'Loghlin and Tickle are up do doing as good as job as Farrell in that slot. I don't think they are.

For the latter half of last season Farrell stayed pretty clear of the play making most of the time at loose forward. When the team looked cluless and he did get back involved that was because others were not coming up with the goods.

Playing for GB he can afford to be a 2nd row and not think about the plays as at the end of the day it is others who are responsible for the pivotal positions and who occupies them.

I think that as a club captain I am sure he is likely to get more involved from loose forward when things go wrong at Wigan as he trys to pull us out of the fire again. IMO toward the end of the season when we required that pulling out of the fire is when he got back involved in play making but was happy to leave it to others when they were capable.

I guess what I am saying is I don't have enough faith in anyone but Lam in the team besides Farrell to come up with much in the way of plays.

The interesting thing is if he sees the likes of Sculthopre being given the GB loose forward slot, will he ask to play second row at Wigan or will Raper think its a good idea?

If so what about Wilde who is, IMO an outstanding prospect?

Dave
DaveO

Re: passing

Post by DaveO »

JohnM said: "I would like to see his passes given and Kicks in general play for this series and last years when he was at Loose Forward.I bet he passed the ball much more and did more kicking last year."

His stats show he is not high up in the offload rankings - which are the only pass related stats available over at the Tetley SL site.

I put this down to a lack of support play from his team mates. You can't pass to players who are not there and the support play has not been very good in the tests.

Dave
John M

Agreed

Post by John M »

I must admit,a few times on Saturday Farrell was twisting and looking to get his upper body free but no one was there.This is something that GB need to look at for the third test.We need a good strong runner like Gilmour hanging about around him.The same goes at Wigan next year.Faz would no doubt be a great offloader because he is so strong and players usually go low on him leaving his arms free.
Going back to the 2nd test with Hohias high tackle.Faz came from the left onto the right to pick the smallest man on the field out.Im sure that Hohia went for his head on purpose because he probrably knew that he was never going to stop him otherwise.Had he gone for the waist or upper body im certain Faz would of been through.
Monie is God!

wigan_babe_13

Leave Faz at LF

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

I think Wigan should leave Faz at Loose-Forward for Wigan but play him in the second-row for GB and England etc.
Why? Because no-one else at Wigan is good enough at loose-forward to take over! O'Loughlin isn't big enough or strong enough, he is a good stand-off and is one half of our future half-back pairing ( the other half being Luke Robinson ). Tickle is a big lad with experience at Loose-forward but Raper obviously doen't see him as a regular number 13 as he would have put him there ahead of Furner when Faz was out injured!!
No-one at Wigan is as good as Faz at the number 13 role, he carries out the role well and we should leave him there! It is obvious however, that his international position is second-row!!
Pengy

Farrell for second row, wigan and great britain

Post by Pengy »

Come on his performances in the last game must show that we have to put him back in the second row. He has been taking the ball really well for great britain and his defence has also been quite good although i do think his work rate in defence could be improved.

I was also one who was calling him and that was when he was trying to do everything and just getting in the way.But i was also saying that his best posistion is second row which has surely been prooved in these last 2 games.

Next season we should play farrell second row and tickle loose. Lets see what tickle is capable when playing loose, i have heard he had a great tour with the england A side and wasnt he playing loose forward im not too sure?
John M

i agree with Pengy re.Farrell

Post by John M »

Tickle will make a good lock whilst Farrell has proved himself to be at his best in the second row.
Monie is God!

DaveO

Farrell at loose

Post by DaveO »

I don't think the club will play Farrell in the second row because they will think loose forward is a pivotal position, Tickle is only 19 and therefore not experienced enough to do this at SL level for a full season.

If we had Phil Clarke or the like in the side, fair enough - put Faz back in the second row but we have not so he keeps the loose forward slot.

Dave
Pengy

Experiance???

Post by Pengy »

No body has experiance untill they are given the chance to play their. Give tickle a chance you might be surprised.
DaveO

Re: Experience

Post by DaveO »

The best way for 19 year old players to get experience is not be expected to take over such a crucial role for a full season of SL, but to be eased into the role gradually.

I don't think any of the likes of O'Loughlin, Tickle, Briscoe or Robinson are capable of holding down their preferred position in the first team for a full season. They would be burnt out about half way through.

Wigan are having to rely on youth and as I said, if we had an experienced lock available then moving Farrell to second row could be an option but we don't and so I am sure the club thinks its better to have an inexperienced second row than inexperienced lock.

I also think they have made a mistake in not putting Wilde in there. When he was fit he never looked out of place IMO and I think its premature to give Tickle the no 12 shirt ahead of him.

Dave