Matty Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Woodentop07

Matty Bowen

Post by Woodentop07 »

RLmole saying on twitter he is close to signing for us!
Wigan til i die!!
Garry Riley

Re: Matty Bowen

Post by Garry Riley »

Not for me, a great player but at around 31 and with dodgy knees could be too risky a signing. I'd sooner have one of our younger kids.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

Be a good signing for two seasons because Hampshire and Tierney are not ready
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

"The Courier-Mail understands the club's medical reports, coupled with Bowen's training data this season, indicate his reconstructed knees will struggle to cope with another NRL campaign in 2014."

From here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6672798088

No way should we go anywhere near this player if he can't get a new deal he wants himself because his current club think his knees are shot.

He wants to stay so the only way he is leaving that club is if the club thinks he knees are gone.

We shouldn't be signing 32 year old backs, period but making sure the likes of Tomkins stick to their deals then we don't have to even consider stop gap players.

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

You would think the club would have checked out a 30+ player out medically before spending big bucks!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:You would think the club would have checked out a 30+ player out medically before spending big bucks!
You would and maybe they have but take a different view on his prospects to the medics at NQC. Even if they do there is clearly an pretty serious issue here.

That article also says:

"Bowen could rush back from knee surgery against Canberra on Sunday, although it is more likely the subsequent games against Manly and Brisbane will determine if he is forced into retirement.

Seems to me that suggests he will either play on in the NRL or retire so maybe the rumour is way off anyway.

If not and we have moved for a player of his age considering those options we must be mad.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:"The Courier-Mail understands the club's medical reports, coupled with Bowen's training data this season, indicate his reconstructed knees will struggle to cope with another NRL campaign in 2014."

From here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6672798088

No way should we go anywhere near this player if he can't get a new deal he wants himself because his current club think his knees are shot.

He wants to stay so the only way he is leaving that club is if the club thinks he knees are gone.

We shouldn't be signing 32 year old backs, period but making sure the likes of Tomkins stick to their deals then we don't have to even consider stop gap players.

Correct here we go again.

Quality leaving bring in a player who is a shadow of what he once was with shot knees. Another cracking deal from IL let a World Class player go and get a cheaper less reliable model in.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It's a rumour, so a little early to be condemning IL.
Who have we signed that has come with injury issues under IL's regime?
If he comes on a pay to play, then this could work. I am sure IL is as able to google articles about a player's fitness as well as the rest of us, and will look carefully at his track record.
For what it's worth, I wonder how robust Mossop will be going forward. He has already had some bad injuries to parts of the body which are likely to suffer furthe from wear and tear. Could be a wise move to let him go.
Incidentally, a fit Bowen is one of the few players in Sam's class as an attacking threat. He's special.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:It's a rumour, so a little early to be condemning IL.
If he comes on a pay to play, then this could work. I am sure IL is as able to google articles about a player's fitness as well as the rest of us, and will look carefully at his track record.
For what it's worth, I wonder how robust Mossop will be going forward. He has already had some bad injuries to parts of the body which are likely to suffer furthe from wear and tear. Could be a wise move to let him go.
Incidentally, a fit Bowen is one of the few players in Sam's class as an attacking threat. He's special.
IF the NQC are willing to let Bowen go without offering him a new contract it tells you he is not in Sam's class.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:It's a rumour, so a little early to be condemning IL.
Some of us have said we should not be interested in this player for the reasons stated. We are just commenting on the rumour.
Amos Roberts. He injured his knee in 2007 and was released from his contract to join is on a four year deal at the end of the season.

I hope we have learned the lesson of that. He had about two short spells of fitness where he showed his class but it was a very frustrating experience for the most part having him on the books.
I'd hope be doing a lot more than using Google to assess his fitness but what are you trying to say? That the article is not cause for concern?