Do we need another prop for next season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Do we need another prop for next season?

Post by southportcdm »

I feel that to get through a season successfully any top team needs six experienced props (at least a full season at the top level)with another two promising youngsters to help out/gain experience when required. Last season we used Mossop, Luaki, Flower, Dudson, Crosby, Taylor as our main props. Sadly Prescott was never fit and Luaki wasn't available for much of the season which meant that Crosby had to pay far more games than he was probably expected to and he made excellent progress. Minor roles for Spencer (now at Leigh), Greenwood (promising) and Burke (talented but not a prop yet/ever)helped out when required.

This season (assuming we are losing Luaki and Powell) we have 'only' have Flower, Taylor, Dudson, Crosby and Pettybourne as experienced props. I'm sure that Greenwood has potential but we can't expect too much from him at his age and I'm not certain if Hopkins is being developed as a prop (any comments welcomed). Although I don't think that Mossop was our best prop last season he was experienced and played for large parts of a match. Does anybody feel like I do that we still need a big experienced prop who can play for more than 20 minutes per half? Once the season gets underway the chances are that two props will be injured at any time and I think that we may be caught out. If the money and space on the salary cap is available as we believe they are, why not get another good prop in asap?
cpwigan

Re: Do we need another prop for next season?

Post by cpwigan »

Burke was deemed good enough to play for GB Academy at prop partnering the Burgess twins when they defeated Australia.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

yes
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Flower, Dudson, Crosby, Taylor = 4
Eddy Petty a possible 5th
The Welsh Rah Rah if he stays
Burke, Greenwood
Ben Austin has been promoted to the first team
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

No, we don't.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Oh yes we do!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

mickw wrote:preferably one that can kick goals :)
who was the aussie prop who was a goal kicker during the early-mid 90's, for some reason i keep thinking of Glenn Lazarus but don't think it was him
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I think we need an experanced prop. We have a strognish pack but we could do with some one who as been there and done it.

A bit like a craig Smith.

I would have like to have Lima back or may be feka.
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

mickw wrote:preferably one that can kick goals :)
Huby from cas tiger can kick goals.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Flower can be our Craig Smith - Terry O'Connor style prop. He is rough and makes very few errors ball in hand and he makes yards. What we will miss is an X factor style forward, we seem to have a lot of trundle buses who will make yards but we are missing a Hock/Hansen player who hits the gap rather than the man. Farrell can be that player but is easily bullied by bigger packs
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure