Matty Smith to replace Pat?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Matty Smith to replace Pat?

Post by cpwigan »

Apparently current favourite and being coached re place kicking. Wane awaiting to pit him against Charnley to decide.
white elephant

Re: Matty Smith to replace Pat?

Post by white elephant »

Marty Smith definitely for me!!
WIGAN TILL I DIE

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

He will be better than Pat
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

medlocke wrote:He will be better than Pat
He'll have a bit of work to do.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

medlocke wrote:He will be better than Pat

Imo not in a million years. The only current player at Wigan capable of living up to Pats standards is Hampshire. Although I would love to eat humble pie. (again) :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Practice makes perfect and never more so in RL with goal kicking.

I don't care who steps up to the plate but whoever does MUST put in the practice in the same way both Frano and Pat did.

It wasn't a happy accident that these two ended up Wigan's most prolific modern day goal kickers, they both worked at the job.

If Smith is up for the job, more power to his boot!

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:Practice makes perfect and never more so in RL with goal kicking.

I don't care who steps up to the plate but whoever does MUST put in the practice in the same way both Frano and Pat did.

It wasn't a happy accident that these two ended up Wigan's most prolific modern day goal kickers, they both worked at the job.

If Smith is up for the job, more power to his boot!
Interesting that you should use those two as comparisons. Frano became such a reliable kicker the team at the time could carry him to a certain extent, not that he was a poor player by any means. Pat however, was also to become one of Super League's most prolific wingers, his goal kicking being a massive bonus.

As you say, both of them worked extra on their kicking. Most players can become good kickers, but these days it has to be additional to your playing ability, not a part of it, and certainly not instead of it!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Spoke to Mat at Miller Carter on Boxing Day, he looked fit and said he was looking forward to next year.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Frano was a quality rugby player who did well on the wing whilst he learned the game and then in time in his natural position of stand off.