That "Sam" moment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Re: That "Sam" moment

Post by Welski »

Cheers everyone...looking forward to it even more now! Follow up question for you: Do you think we are in a better position now than in previous years with youngsters coming through? I know Wigan has a great reputation for youth development but in recent seasons it seems a lack of first team opportunities has seen them go elsewhere/other sports. Kaii mentioned Manfredi’s path being somewhat blocked but it appears this year the names mentioned may have more chances as the team evolves; it could turn out to be the start of a few very good years with a new core of home grown talent…
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Welski wrote:Cheers everyone...looking forward to it even more now! Follow up question for you: Do you think we are in a better position now than in previous years with youngsters coming through? I know Wigan has a great reputation for youth development but in recent seasons it seems a lack of first team opportunities has seen them go elsewhere/other sports. Kaii mentioned Manfredi’s path being somewhat blocked but it appears this year the names mentioned may have more chances as the team evolves; it could turn out to be the start of a few very good years with a new core of home grown talent…
How do you work that out. In the last few years we have seen Tomkins x 3, Charnley, Farrell, Hughes, McIlorum, Mossop, Goulding, Crosby etc come through the from the academy. Others will follow, but some will have to move on to accommodate them. There were times last season when we had 14 or 15 academy players in the 17. The winning Grand Final team had 11 players in it that came through the academy as did the Challenge Cup winning side.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Welski wrote:Cheers everyone...looking forward to it even more now! Follow up question for you: Do you think we are in a better position now than in previous years with youngsters coming through? I know Wigan has a great reputation for youth development but in recent seasons it seems a lack of first team opportunities has seen them go elsewhere/other sports. Kaii mentioned Manfredi’s path being somewhat blocked but it appears this year the names mentioned may have more chances as the team evolves; it could turn out to be the start of a few very good years with a new core of home grown talent…
To be honest 99% of the time if a young player is good enough he will come through at Wigan which you cannot always say of the past.

Nevertheless, there will and SHOULD always be players who despite not making it at Wigan do VERY WELL elsewhere.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Welski wrote:Query from down south...I'm really looking forward to this season the team has some fresh faces, some young some not so, although all with the potential to gel into another trophy winning team. Is there anyone coming through who you guys think has the ability to bring the sort of moments a certain ex player did in his pomp or do you think wigan/RL was a little spoiled during those halcyon days?
That is a tough question. There are plenty of very good players in the squad but the way I read your questions is, is there anyone who can do stuff other players can't?

Players with that kind of ability, which is what sets them apart from other very good players, are few and far between which is why losing Sam was so disappointing.

For the forthcoming season while players such as Hampshire show the potential to have this extra ability I think it would be expecting a lot for them to show it consistently.

So for 2014 I'd say the player most likely to show such flashes of brilliance is Bowen provided he stays fit.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm going for Burgess.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I am looking forward to seeing Dan Sarginson hopefully having a good season and maybe pushing for a centre birth with Daz.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

I get the feeling he might end up with thornleys spot, have been impressed with his movement and like daz isn't afraid to take that ball over the line.

1 Bowen
2 Charnley
3 Goulding
23 Sarginson
32 Burgess

I'd be happy with that
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

An interesting player to watch is a young forward called Grant Beecham, a right side second rower. When you look at him physically you think nothing amazing but watch him play long enough and he seems to be rugby intelligent with some instinctive RL plays, similar to Bateman & Burke.

No idea if he will make it at Wigan BUT IMO he will make it somewhere.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

Kittwazzer wrote:
devon jim 1 wrote:Watched 'Benidorm' on tele the other nigh(tnot seen it before} imagine my shock seeing Sam and Scot Quinell acting as Kenneth and Liam? in the hotel Hair Salon.A Sam moment in deed. :) Looking forward to seeing young Hampshire this season. Loads of promise.
Can't believe you've never seen it before Jim. Funniest thing on TV!
=Phild1_no accounting for taste. :exc: