suggestions for left wing/centre partnership?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

suggestions for left wing/centre partnership?

Post by southportcdm »

I'm really looking forward to the Huddersfield game on Friday and just wondered what people's opinions are on our left wing. I've not seen Sarginson play at centre and my choice would be Thornley at centre with Burgess on the wing. I know that he's inexperienced but Burgess seems to have done so well pre-season that he deserves a chance on Fiday and if it goes well keep him there for the WCC. I think that he's probably surprised Waney who wouldn't have taken him to Florida if Josh had been fit. Thornley didn't let us down in the two finals last year and including him would involve only making a single change from last year whilst using Sarginson at centre and Thornley or Burgess on the wing would mean greater disruption. I know that some of you have been impressed by Sarginson so far but I can't comment on his form for us. Any comments?
Kaii

Re: suggestions for left wing/centre partnership?

Post by Kaii »

Dan & Budgie for me, while Thornley never let us down he never set the world on fire either. Him and Gelling had the whole season to make a claim for the center spot and thornley got it because he worked better with Pat.

Bowen
Charnley
Goulding
Sarginson
Burgess

Looks really good
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kaii wrote:Dan & Budgie for me, while Thornley never let us down he never set the world on fire either. Him and Gelling had the whole season to make a claim for the center spot and thornley got it because he worked better with Pat.

Bowen
Charnley
Goulding
Sarginson
Burgess

Looks really good
Yes it does. And with Manfredi chomping at the bit, I don't think we'll see much of Gelling this year. My view is that we simply have too many far better options.
W1GANER

Post by W1GANER »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Kaii wrote:Dan & Budgie for me, while Thornley never let us down he never set the world on fire either. Him and Gelling had the whole season to make a claim for the center spot and thornley got it because he worked better with Pat.

Bowen
Charnley
Goulding
Sarginson
Burgess

Looks really good
Yes it does. And with Manfredi chomping at the bit, I don't think we'll see much of Gelling this year. My view is that we simply have too many far better options.
I have to agree that i would like to see Manfredi get a chance, but with Gelling scoring try's for fun when he did play I think he will get more games than Manfredi. Until Manfredi he gains more experiance.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sarginson has earned a spot thus far. The big ? mark was his defence but thus far that has not been open to question. Very diffito say much as regards Goulding / Thornley who have not played much thus far which suggest you go with tried and tested Goulding. Thornley, I have a lot of belief in but he needs to 'step up' and is not readily appreciated by most supporters albeit he does not help himself either. Gelling had a mare first time out but v the much weaker Skolars was excellent.

Personally not keen on centres moving to wing and Burgess / Manfredi have done well and Charnley presumably is ready to return.

The outside backs is the area of the team most up in the air prior to the WCC. We need great defence out wide v the Roosters.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

W1GANER wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Bowen
Charnley
Goulding
Sarginson
Burgess

Looks really good
I have to agree that i would like to see Manfredi get a chance, but with Gelling scoring try's for fun when he did play I think he will get more games than Manfredi. Until Manfredi he gains more experiance.
8 tries from 13 starts? I'd hardly call that scoring for fun!
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

TBH Gelling's problem was never lack of skill, it is his decision making
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Kaii wrote:TBH Gelling's problem was never lack of skill, it is his decision making
no it wasn't, it was the fact he was played out of position, a similar situation as Pat in his fisrt season, i think we should try and turn Gelling into a 2nd rower
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

medlocke wrote:
Kaii wrote:TBH Gelling's problem was never lack of skill, it is his decision making
no it wasn't, it was the fact he was played out of position, a similar situation as Pat in his fisrt season, i think we should try and turn Gelling into a 2nd rower
He never knew when it was time to run or pass to pat, thornley is the smarter player by far
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

for Friday I'd play
Bowen
Burgess
Goulding
Sarginson
Thornley

Waney played that on Friday I think. when Josh is back Burgess has earned the 5 spot and it could be a fight out between Dan and Thornley