Eddie and Steve

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
slimshady

Re: Eddie and Steve

Post by slimshady »

Mike wrote:We did 9s. Did you notice - no? Not suprised, no-one else did either, certainly not the media. We did it in the same way we do most things - with so many compromises that the whole thing has no chance of succeeding before we even begin. The whole thing was basically a mid-week under 19s comp.

If the magic weekend had been a 9s comp with regulations specifying the bets squad must play, then maybe we'd have had something worth promoting.

The last time we did something like that was the transition to the GF. And we're watering down the playoff concept so much now its damaging the league and the playoffs.

We need someone at the RFL with vision and commitment to take through an idea that may just have a positive effect. The 12 to 8 split won't last more than 2 seasons IMO.
Enter Dr Koukash!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Ed Osmond wrote:Hi, new to the site. Wigan fan for 20 years. Can anyone tell me why Eddie and Stevo hate Wigan so much and love Saints? Commentary on tonight's game v Wire was unreal.
Ed
Ed, Stevo went to Aus to play for Penrith in the 70's. At the same time so did Bill Ashurst from Wigan. Much to the bemusement / amusement of their Australian teammates, the two were constantly at loggerheads and it reached such a childish level that Stevo would not pass to Bill. Bill eventually returned home but made such an impact he was selected for the all time Penrith XIII. Stevo stayed, retired, worked on Aus RL radio; bought a train, filled it with RL memorabilia taking it across Australia. SKY eventually brought him back and he and Eddie have remained too long sadly. The Best British commentator I can recall was Clive Tyldsley alongside Brian Smith when ITC/Granada briefly showed RL in the very late 80's / early 90's. Yorkshire TV tried Scrumdown but that was fairly naff.

Throw in Stevo being a Yorkshireman together with his hatred of Wigan legend Bill (he still hates him today) and you have why he is against Wigan.
Two sides to every story and people tend to lean to the side they want to believe, especially if it involves a Lancashire/Yorkshire angle.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

slimshady wrote:
Mike wrote:We did 9s. Did you notice - no? Not suprised, no-one else did either, certainly not the media. We did it in the same way we do most things - with so many compromises that the whole thing has no chance of succeeding before we even begin. The whole thing was basically a mid-week under 19s comp.

If the magic weekend had been a 9s comp with regulations specifying the bets squad must play, then maybe we'd have had something worth promoting.

The last time we did something like that was the transition to the GF. And we're watering down the playoff concept so much now its damaging the league and the playoffs.

We need someone at the RFL with vision and commitment to take through an idea that may just have a positive effect. The 12 to 8 split won't last more than 2 seasons IMO.
Enter Dr Koukash!
Always wary of a person who shouts his mouth off in order to get himself more well known and by doing so, boost support at a club, but knows that nothing will change in the game as at meetings, he will be outnumbered by other Club Chairman/Owners.

Would make a good MP as Parliament is full of people like him, especially at election time.

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

For me, it's not their bias or leanings towards or against any club that grates, it's just that they're completely outdated.
They've been doing this job now for a gazillion years and are the main welcoming committee to anyone coming into RL through Sky.
After hearing the commentator for the NZ Warriors game, it was like a breath of fresh air where the same old cliched comments were not made.
When was the last game you watched on Sky where you didn't hear one of these phrases?
- terra firma
- claret
- outfit
- T R Y for mine
- mana from heaven
- syooper
- Kevin Sinfield is God and the saviour and I want to have children with him?
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kiwiseddon wrote:For me, it's not their bias or leanings towards or against any club that grates, it's just that they're completely outdated.
They've been doing this job now for a gazillion years and are the main welcoming committee to anyone coming into RL through Sky.
After hearing the commentator for the NZ Warriors game, it was like a breath of fresh air where the same old cliched comments were not made.
When was the last game you watched on Sky where you didn't hear one of these phrases?
- terra firma
- claret
- outfit
- T R Y for mine
- mana from heaven
- syooper
- Kevin Sinfield is God and the saviour and I want to have children with him?
The Aussie commentators spending their time making patronising comments and incessant chatter about anything but the game in question.

Perhaps a case for new commentators, but British please!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Listening those lot on sky is like listening to a gang of fellas in the pub discussing the game. Half the time they're too busy trying to out do one another with their voices raising to a crescendo to be the one who is the loudest so that makes what they say right!

They need to comment on the game & not referee it or make their opinion on a tackle as to whether it's a penalty, a sin bin or a red card. That is not their job!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Post by markill »

The best 9s competition of recent past in this country was the Northern Rail 9s that featured all the Championship and Championship 1 clubs I think apart from the NR Cup finalists. It was played as a round robin tournament at Fylde Rugby Union (where Mark Preston started his rugby playing career and Jason Robinson ended his) over two days, with the teams then contesting two finals (bowl and cup I think) as a curtain rasier to the NR Cup final between Widnes and Barrow. I'm pretty sure it only lasted the one year, Blackpool Panthers raised their game to be the winners of the cup, which was the better prize on offer of the two. It was a really good couple of days, of course it didn't hurt that it was walking distance from where I then lived.

The midweek 9s tournaments, like Mike said, became youth team affairs and were compromised out of having a good chance to develop or excite interest/sponsorship/crowds/TV coverage.

Back to Eddie and Stevo though, I don't think they are particularly biased against any team as they seem to credit everyone when they are going well but they don't have anything new or interesting to say anymore. past their sell by dates.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Welski

Post by Welski »

If you want proof of bias get someone who has never watched a game to sit through a match on Sky involving Wigan and Leeds and ask their opinion on who the commentators favoured. I did this with clear results. As someone who by virtue of my location watches the majority of their Wigan games on Sky it is becoming intolerable. I used to enjoy the schadenfreude aspect but even that has worn off now. They are just annoying and what is worse I find myself listening out for the bias to each comment. The Huds game was the first time I’ve switched off the sound and what a difference it made although it killed the atmosphere. Time for an overhaul. Super League is in danger of becoming anything but….
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Welski wrote:If you want proof of bias get someone who has never watched a game to sit through a match on Sky involving Wigan and Leeds and ask their opinion on who the commentators favoured. I did this with clear results. As someone who by virtue of my location watches the majority of their Wigan games on Sky it is becoming intolerable. I used to enjoy the schadenfreude aspect but even that has worn off now. They are just annoying and what is worse I find myself listening out for the bias to each comment. The Huds game was the first time I’ve switched off the sound and what a difference it made although it killed the atmosphere. Time for an overhaul. Super League is in danger of becoming anything but….
I did the same when watching the Auckland warm up game as it was not much different!
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Guys - you need to get over your prejudices and stop getting upset.
When I went to the Catalan v Wigan game last year, we were surrounded by the locals. And of course the referee was biased and all the decisions were "toutes pour les Anglais" (always for the English). Etc. But at the end of the game we shook hands and everyone smiled.

It's every true fans birthright to be blinkered and myopic. It's the same wherever you go, whatever team you support, whatever game you watch.
And the constant whining on this website is such a pain.

So get over it!
Stevethegas