Salford vs Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Salford vs Wigan

Post by Wandering Warrior »

thegimble wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:It's all about being hungry. Put loads of money on the table for getting your body battered and it's much easier to get boiled egg and soldiers on the table, therefore you want to wake up the morning after to eat them.
Koukash may be a successful businessman bit he knows knob all about man management!!
Not his job to manage the playing staff thats a coaches job. Imagine if IL starterd to man manage our players. Wane would knock him out.
Exactly, but he try to!
That's why it won't work.
We are singing off the same hymn sheet, I didn't get technical!! ;)
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TSB

Post by TSB »

The best thing Shaun did was introduce these kids when he did against Widnes 2 years ago when we played Huddersfield on SOL testimonial against Huddersfield they played out of there skin . Only just got beat. Every year now he introduces a different player and the standard goes up . Then he introduces another excellent player and the standard gets higher. My lad Is biting at the bit tobe released on to the next team when he gets the chance. Great coaching Shaun them lads will Die for you.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

Just walked in from Salford, (going striaght on the site, is that sad or what). Our young lads were eating raw meat and spitting fire. Well done boys you deserve all the plaudits you are going to get. Poor crowd. If our supporters hadn't been there I don't think there would have been any noise at all. Dr Muchocash youv'e bought a load of players who can't play as a team. How long has Harris got? Now going to settle down and watch the recording of the game. :eusa3: :eusa3:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The standard of youngsters at Wigan is incredibly high and as said previously they getter and better whenever asked to step in. They do need nurturing and the older heads in some key roles guide them around the pitch and in the game.

The attendance was poor but the task of attracting Salfordians / Mancs to watch RL is incredibly difficult, far more so than say in Wigan. It would be a great boost to the whole sport if Salford do get better and better.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

If Harris got sacked, would we take him back?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Wow! I was really impressed by the performance against dirty Leeds but that was up there with MM (TMISL) going off early doors and Rocky, Williams, Bateman, Burgess and manfredi all looking like world beaters.

I expected a drop tonight after the Leeds game but wow!!

I need to sign up to the happy clapper brigade, just wow!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think our recruitment has again been shown to be much better than many expected. Having actually seen Sarginson and Clubb play on numerous occasions, I was always confident they would be good signings. I will go further and assert that Clubb will be a better prop than Mossop because he is naturally bigger, nastier and quicker.
Bateman's signing is fantastic business. He's a league machine. Budgie is far more of a threat than 2013 vintage Pat on the wings and Smith has out goal kicked his more fancied counterparts each time he has played them.
The boys that left carved their names in Wigan's history with skill and courage, but I am very happy and excited by the squad we have now put together. We are set very fair indeed.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Harris being sacked has got to gain strength when he says this after the match
Salford coach Iestyn Harris:
"I thought defensively we had a real dig. It was a real physical game.
"I didn't think there was a whole lot between the two teams. I just thought they had too much pace for us on the end if I'm honest.
"We could have been a little bit more clinical at times, but I thought it was a big improvement from us defensively because they are a very good side.
"We've made some big improvements. The biggest concern for me was the defensive system and I think we're looking a lot more solid."
I'm sorry but no matter how good our kids are Salford should of had us tonight esp after losing mm
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Dobby wrote: Put any Wigan player in that Salford team tonight and they would look average though
That is why it is a team game, our players play as a team and that makes them look better individuals, HH was a big part of that last season!!
Whilst Salford have a decent team on paper and some good quality players with a cash rich owner. You got to ask the question.

Why are they so poor and could finish 3rd from bottom this season.

For me instead of going for Noble he should have made the one of they best coaches in the game an offer they could not refuse. He goes for the easy option or a better way of saying it a cheaper option. Not only has he got Noble in he never learnt a lesson if he wants to be succesful it takes time in Super League. Leeds nor Bradford became the best sides over night neither did we. It took the right coach.

He should have doubled Madge's or Tim Sheens earnings to take charge and given them control of players coming in and out. Problem is they have signed on paper better players then we did in the off season barr Bateman. Whilst Salford have quality on the pitch they have been bought together too fast with no direction and no leaders in the team. It just seems they think they are on a holiday and can get away with been turned over by our youths more or less.

Its not an easy fix at Salford and with an ego for an owner Harris could well get sacked by the end of this season. Someone has to carry the can and he will be the easiest one to blame. They are so bad its un true.
Shoot me down but... For a team like Salford just starting out with decent players they had a bloody good, experienced coach. Sacking noble and appointing Harris was a step backward!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Harris being sacked has got to gain strength when he says this after the match
Salford coach Iestyn Harris:
"I thought defensively we had a real dig. It was a real physical game.
"I didn't think there was a whole lot between the two teams. I just thought they had too much pace for us on the end if I'm honest.
"We could have been a little bit more clinical at times, but I thought it was a big improvement from us defensively because they are a very good side.
"We've made some big improvements. The biggest concern for me was the defensive system and I think we're looking a lot more solid."
I'm sorry but no matter how good our kids are Salford should of had us tonight esp after losing mm
Not really. No matter how young our players are, they are entering a successful culture and a very stable environment. I like many expected a great deal from Salford pre season but it did not happen due to not recruiting any speed in he outside backs (bar Johnson who is injured) and wasting a lavish re season 'holiday' under a coach who is better at TV now. Salford is unstable with Harris have to deconstruct and build a game plan mid season. The successive defeats drains confidence. However, Salford had a dig and they did defend well but that slowness on the outsides kills them.

IIRC Smith and Powell are part of our leadership group and Williams and Rocky are leaders for their age group. If we can turn Leeds over then why not Salford despite two changes.