Bringing back Joel is just the start

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bringing back Joel is just the start

Post by josie andrews »

SHAUN Wane hopes Joel Tomkins will be joined by both his brothers in the Wigan team – and it may be sooner than some expect.

The eldest of the three brothers has cut short his time in union to return to his home-town club.

Hooker Logan will be back on board next season when he completes a loan spell at Salford.

And Wane expects the same passion for the club which lured Joel back from union will entire full-back Sam once he has fulfilled his NRL ambitions.

Chairman Ian Lenagan hinted as much after Joel had signed a three-and-a-half year deal, saying: “Let them go and they’ll come back to Wigan. Joel’s the first.”

Wane said yesterday: “I know what’s happening.

“Sam’s a great player and he’ll always want to come back here. I speak to him every other day on Face Time. He’s part of the Wigan family, he won’t go anywhere else.”

Asked whether the prospect of Sam returning was for much further down the track, he added: “I don’t know.”

Elaborating on the recruitment of the dual-code international - who has played 150 games for Wigan - Wane explained how Wigan’s 18-14 victory against Leeds at the Magic Weekend played a huge role in Tomkins deciding to return after three years in the 15-a-side code, where he played for England.

“He watched our win against Leeds and he never felt the same excitement in union,” said Wane.

He knows what our dressing room would have been like after the Leeds game - it was special - and he doesn’t have that in union. He wants to feel that again.

“Magic was the one that got him. No doubt about it.

“We have a good family spirit here and that’s what he missed.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6685434
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Bringing back Joel is just the start

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Bowen one more year, to be replaced by a marquee signing from the NRL, our Sam!
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Unless the salary cap is increased there certainly wont be a flood of players back to the club.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

The sooner Sam comes back the better, Matty Bowen is quality but Sam was always up to something
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The start of the club going backwards? maybe we could see what Danny Sculthorpe & Brady Malam are on with
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The comment was excellent PR but I would not read too much into it. Joel was a forward IMO, he tried Union, got some great money, had a great time BUT was he likely to be offered the same again in Union? NO.

If Sam continues to go great in the NRL he will have offers from Union and a new NRL contract.

We should never become a retirement home. It semnds the wrong message to young aspiring players. Look forward not backwards.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don't understand what you are accusing I L of here, CPW. He has just paid a transfer fee to bring back a decent player and is suggesting that Sam may come home one day. I'd have thought that both of these things - the action and the intention - are to be applauded. I don't know whether Sam will be offered a fortune to stay in the NRL as he is doing ok but far from startlingly well. He could always move to the Dark Side, but he hasn't yet and maybe he feels ties to our club which could lead to his return. For now, it must be appropriate to be encouraged by the intention, even if it might not result in anything.
I appreciate you view his words and deeds with suspicion, but I think that's not supported by the facts here.
phild1

Post by phild1 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I don't understand what you are accusing I L of here, CPW. He has just paid a transfer fee to bring back a decent player and is suggesting that Sam may come home one day. I'd have thought that both of these things - the action and the intention - are to be applauded. I don't know whether Sam will be offered a fortune to stay in the NRL as he is doing ok but far from startlingly well. He could always move to the Dark Side, but he hasn't yet and maybe he feels ties to our club which could lead to his return. For now, it must be appropriate to be encouraged by the intention, even if it might not result in anything.
I appreciate you view his words and deeds with suspicion, but I think that's not supported by the facts here.
phild=it's all down to loyalty,spelt CASH :sly:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I don't understand what you are accusing I L of here, CPW. He has just paid a transfer fee to bring back a decent player and is suggesting that Sam may come home one day. I'd have thought that both of these things - the action and the intention - are to be applauded. I don't know whether Sam will be offered a fortune to stay in the NRL as he is doing ok but far from startlingly well. He could always move to the Dark Side, but he hasn't yet and maybe he feels ties to our club which could lead to his return. For now, it must be appropriate to be encouraged by the intention, even if it might not result in anything.
Not accusing anybody of anything. I just made the observation that I do not think we will ever see a flood of players return nor should we IMO.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Not accusing anybody of anything. I just made the observation that I do not think we will ever see a flood of players return nor should we IMO.
Nor do I, but perhaps the odd exception where the club has the first option on players who have decided to play elsewhere for the experience, like Joel did in Union or like Sam and Lee in the NRL.