Tomkins in 19 Man Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tomkins in 19 Man Squad

Post by josie andrews »

Joel Tomkins looks set to make his second debut for Wigan Warriors after being named in the 19 man squad to face Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium on Thursday evening.

Joel returned to the Warriors six weeks ago and has been recovering from a back injury whilst getting back into life as a Rugby League player.

Head Coach Shaun Wane said: "I've taken my time with him, he was probably ready a week ago and he's been very keen to play but I wouldn't put him in unless I thought he was definitely ready to play. I want him to have a home game and I'm sure the fans will look forward to seeing him back in a Cherry and White shirt."

Asked about how Joel has taken to being back in Rugby League Shaun said: "He's been training really well, his skills are very good. He's done a fair bit of wrestle so he's back into it again. I'm not expecting great things for a few weeks but he's going to be a good asset to us, he's a big unit on an edge and is very skilful as he has shown in the past. I'm excited that he's with us and I'm looking forward to seeing him play."

Joel was understandably excited about the call up: "I've tried to just come in and work as hard as I can since I came back to the club. It's great to be named in the squad and I can't wait to pull that famous jersey on once again."

In other news, Anthony Gelling looks set to return in place of Darrell Goulding. Wane said: "Anthony Gelling was rested for the game against Bradford. Darrell Goulding got a knock on his knee so we have a ready-made replacement there."

Wigan Warriors 19-man squad in full:

John Bateman, Matt Bowen, Josh Charnley, Tony Clubb, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Jack Hughes, Jordan James, Dom Manfredi, Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Powell, Dan Sarginson, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Joel Tomkins, George Williams

Tickets are still available for the game from the Wigan Warriors Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline 0871 6633 552 or online at Warriors eTickets

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... UWeche2.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Re: Tomkins in 19 Man Squad

Post by markill »

I'd probably leave Dudson and James out - although Dudson at least would be fresh after his 'break'
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
bendy hendy 5

Post by bendy hendy 5 »

Reading the reports and views, I can see lockers goin to stand off and williams missing out
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Strongest squad for a while this, on paper. Despite still having Burgess, Green, Mcilorum, Pettybourne, Thornley, Hampshire out injured.

I would leave Dudson and James out.

Think we will see Joel coming off the bench for two stints in the back row.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

JL back in our squad.Never thought I woul see the day when a Union reject was so eagerly awaited[ by me] :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

So somebody who has worked for their place all season loses it for a has been that never really was :angry:
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

medlocke wrote:So somebody who has worked for their place all season loses it for a has been that never really was :angry:
POW .... and so it begins :sigh:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

medlocke wrote:So somebody who has worked for their place all season loses it for a has been that never really was :angry:
Bit harsh on Gil Dudson
BriH

Post by BriH »

According to Wish FM, Sarginson had a stinker! Drop or bench?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:
POW .... and so it begins :sigh:
I don't disagree with medlocke...

I remember Hock's return after his enforced drug ban and I can see a repeat of a wholly unfit player, struggling to make any impact, performing plenty of huffing and blowing after a few minutes only to go off again after a pretty uneventful cameo

Stop watching those videos from 3 years ago before his injury hit spell in Union. This guy is a LONG way from his peers fitness/game fit and and he would be better served playing without all this added pressure and expectancy at Workington
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!