Andy Farrell set for Comeback

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Andy Farrell set for Comeback

Post by josie andrews »

Former Wigan Captain Andy Farrell is set to make a remarkable return to the DW Stadium when he lines up for the Joining Jack Legends ahead of the Big One 5 on Friday night.

Farrell, renowned for his passionate leadership and inspirational teamtalks will once again be barking out the orders as he leads the Joining Jack Legends into battle.

The Legends will play a select team in a curtain raiser to the Big One 5 when Wigan Warriors face Super League rivals Leeds Rhinos at the DW Stadium on Friday evening.

Born in Wigan, Farrell made 370 appearances for his hometown club amassing 3135 points, the second highest total of all time, and picking up 15 trophies.

Now a member of the England Rugby Union coaching team, Farrell who left the Warriors in 2005 admitted he can't wait to return: "It's been a long time coming hasn't it? It's all a bit surreal right now and I don't think it will feel real until I'm stood waiting to run out onto the pitch.

"To get this chance to play at the DW Stadium again in front of the Wigan fans is just fantastic and I cannot put into words how excited I am. I couldn't turn this down and the team is looking strong, we definitely mean business and this will be no friendly!"

Farrell will be joined by another two Wigan legends with Steve Hampson and Denis Betts also confirming their places in the side. The trio made 1041 appearances for Wigan between them and are just 3 of 33 players to play over 300 times for the Wigan Club in its illustrious 142 year history.

Hampson picked up 23 pieces of silverware during an 11 year stint at the Club. Now part of the Warriors matchday backroom team, Hampson said: "I've spent a few years working with the guys on a matchday now so it'll be a bit different when I'm lacing my boots up to go out there and play. I've kept myself in great shape since I finished playing and do a lot of personal training stuff these days so I feel in great shape and I'm really looking forward to playing now."

Betts made 367 appearances during two spells for the Wigan Club scoring 129 tries. Now Head Coach at Widnes Vikings, Betts said: "As soon as I heard about the game I wanted to be involved. We all know that Joining Jack is a truly fantastic cause and I think the majority of fans will be in their seats early for this one."

The Wigan trio are joined by former professional Rugby Union players Andy Craig and Paul Sampson in the team.

The Joining Jack Legends squad is: Denis Betts, Mick Cassidy, Gary Connolly, Andy Craig, Andy Farrell, Steve Hampson, Andy Johnson, Chris Joynt, Sean Long, Henry Paul, Kris Radlinski, Jason Robinson, Paul Sampson, Paul Sculthorpe

The game forms part of a top night of Entertainment with Starsailor's James Walsh, singer-song writer Carolynne Poole and the New York Brass Brand all set to perform. A giant 8 feet Super League trophy will also be unveiled before the game made of tins donated by fans, organised by Houses for Homes the tins will be donated to The Brick food bank.

Large ticket sales have been recorded and fans are urged to buy in advance to ensure they don't miss out. Tickets remain on sale from the DW Stadium ticket office, the ticket hotline 0871 6633 552 and online here

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 2gMef57.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Re: Andy Farrell set for Comeback

Post by Owd Codger »

Josie, Whats the time of the kick off and who are they playing?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Let's hope he has another 'inspirational' chat with the lads it might ultimately get us another trophy!! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

6.55 kick off

I'm not sure!! Thought it was a team of ex RU players.

I'll try & find out definitely off Alex Johnson.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote:6.55 kick off

I'm not sure!! Thought it was a team of ex RU players.

I'll try & find out definitely off Alex Johnson.
Alex has just messaged me to say it is ex RU players, it's a good team tho & she will get back to me when she knows more :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Joining Jack Legends game will kick off at 6:55pm, get down to the DW early this Friday for The Big One 5!

Tickets are on sale from the DW Stadium ticket office, the ticket hotline 0871 6633 552 and online at wiganwarriors.com

https://www.facebook.com/WiganWarriorsFanPage?fref=nf
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If this had been in the world of football sky would be showing it live, shame they won't do it for a RL game and such a good cause
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

medlocke wrote:If this had been in the world of football sky would be showing it live, shame they won't do it for a RL game and such a good cause
I agree entirely. Can you imagine the clamour if Cantona etc turned out for a United legends team? That's about the same comparison to Farrell, Connolly, Billy Whizz etc.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I wonder if the club have approached Sky or informed them of it. They could show it intead of the crap Brian Carney & Jon Wells do at the start with the daft bloody tv & video, stats etc :(

Even if it is delayed coverage it again puts the Charity in the media :)
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

josie andrews wrote:I wonder if the club have approached Sky or informed them of it. They could show it intead of the crap Brian Carney & Jon Wells do at the start with the daft bloody tv & video, stats etc :(

Even if it is delayed coverage it again puts the Charity in the media :)

well said young lady
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White