Most improved player this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mr benn

Most improved player this season

Post by mr benn »

Who has made the step up this season with Sarginson, Gelling, Burgess, possible candidates or ?
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Most improved player this season

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

mr benn wrote: Who has made the step up this season with Sarginson, Gelling, Burgess, possible candidates or ?
Transformation of form in the shortest space of time is Sarginson.
Transformation of skills to succeed in a certain position is Gelling.
Transformation from youth to first grade goes to Burgess.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

I know he's not one of the newbies but I think Ben Flower is really coming on.
He has gone from a ten minute stint player whereas he wasn't really noticed to a feisty bugger who is like a steam roller.
He was right in front of us last night when he was taken off and almost as soon as he came off he was raring to go. He was screaming at the players at the side of the pitch like a man gone mad. You can tell he really wants it! Think he must have been training with one of those drag balloons that they have to stop rockets and high speed jet engines when they land to take as many players as he does with him.
To be honest though I think there are so many who have improved this year in the team I feel a bit spoiled for choice! :eusa3:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Gelling
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dom Crosby is fast becoming a very, very good prop IMHO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

josie andrews wrote:Dom Crosby is fast becoming a very, very good prop IMHO
A very good call IMO
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:
A very good call IMO
I love his aggression, he couldn't give a s*** about reputations!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Gelling for me now he's had an extended run and a settled position in the team, Sarginson seems to be getting better as the bigger games come, Burgess has had a fantastic season who has a very calm head on young shoulders, l also think Williams was playing superbly before his injury and I look forward to seeing him more regularly next season.
markill

Post by markill »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
A very good call IMO
I love his aggression, he couldn't give a s*** about reputations!!
I agree re Crosby. Particularly the last 6-8 weeks. He is showing everyone what he is capable of and deserving a major part in our team. The next step for him will to show the consistency over a whole season but its very promising.

The most improved player this season though would be Burgess for me. I say this because coming in tot he team in pre-season he was full of pace and promise and we already knew he was well versed in the way to the try line. But early on he was caught out once or twice physically and positionally. They was a home game in the first period of the season (maybe Hull KR) where he was overpowered by an opposition player that I remembered at the time thinking there was stuff to work on there. Now, he is so much more assured with his defence and in contact he has become massive, making a number of one on one tackles as the season has gone on. Manfredi has shown great stuff too but Burgess is just nailed on first team level player now, which he wasn't in February.

I suppose similar could apply to Sarginson but I almost expected him to do it more based on his Super League experience and the simple fact of now being in a better training environment than London would have been offering. Gelling too has nailed down a first team place although I was already a big fan of Gelling from the games he played at centre last year in and around July/August 2013. He decision making and concentration is the weakness a bit and he still has those moments (early last night for example) so it is still an area to improve, same as it was last year.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I've always been impressed with Dom the only niggle I have is that if he keeps up this display of aggression we will have the Aussies sniffing. Love Gelling's attitude he just gets on with the job. When we talk of progression re Joe Burgess this kid is a natural and is destined to be one of the Wigan greats. Dan Sargison is a work horse who gets clattered every game and just keeps on getting up. Last couple of games he's really impressed. Remember the Sargison must go Post ? all seems quiet on that front for some strange reason.