Quick prediction

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Quick prediction

Post by medlocke »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Wire are running a superb 2nd man play that got them tries v ourselves and Widnes. I do think as you say the key is to play Wire in their own half and limit the impact of their purple patch. Wire never play for the 80 but if you do not dig in when they are red hot the game can be over.
Wire come up very fast in defence too. I've often said that a quick chip over the top like Sam T used to do could catch them out or at least make them hold the line back a little.
Last season I noticed a big purple patch in their first 20 minutes then it backed off. Another 15 minute pressure period followed at the start of the second half then they struggled against decent sides. Funnily enough the Grand Final near enough followed that trend.
Would rather have a chip over like Henry Paul used to do
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Wire are running a superb 2nd man play that got them tries v ourselves and Widnes. I do think as you say the key is to play Wire in their own half and limit the impact of their purple patch. Wire never play for the 80 but if you do not dig in when they are red hot the game can be over.
Wire come up very fast in defence too. I've often said that a quick chip over the top like Sam T used to do could catch them out or at least make them hold the line back a little.
Last season I noticed a big purple patch in their first 20 minutes then it backed off. Another 15 minute pressure period followed at the start of the second half then they struggled against decent sides. Funnily enough the Grand Final near enough followed that trend.
Good call Meds, Sam T's trademark was his chip over and collect, albeit earlier in his career.
Not done so much as it has a higher chance of failure and coughing up the ball, but when your up against the ropes and need that plan B it is an option.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Wire come up very fast in defence too. I've often said that a quick chip over the top like Sam T used to do could catch them out or at least make them hold the line back a little.
Good call Meds, Sam T's trademark was his chip over and collect, albeit earlier in his career.
Not done so much as it has a higher chance of failure and coughing up the ball, but when your up against the ropes and need that plan B it is an option.
you don't see them all that often which isa a shame, recall HP coming out with loads of tasty little chips, a sight to behold
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

My thoughts.What a difference a few weeks make. We were so poor and didn't seem up for it. But the wire and hudds games were a revelation and yes we certainly look the part-attitude and intensity has improved no end. We look to be on a roll and I can't see the wheels falling off anytime soon.
Can't see anything other than a wire win but the hudds cats game is a strange one -hudds will be smarting and cats blow hot and cold. saints will pick either hudds or cats so it's dire for us which as usual will be a tense tough test.
Dislike wire with a passion but they are the only side I fear. will need a massive aggresive mistake free game from forwards and Matty,Blake and co will do the rest.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
medlocke wrote:Would rather have a chip over like Henry Paul used to do
you don't see them all that often which isa a shame, recall HP coming out with loads of tasty little chips, a sight to behold
Widnes had a plan in the first half against Wire and those kicks through near the line worked a treat.
I guess Widnes must have practised those all week and it paid off early in the game. Just a pity they couldn't keep the pressure up.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:Not worried about anyone.

The only thing that can stop Wigan winning the GF is Wigan under-performing. We play at least 80% of our capability we'll beat any other team by 15 points.
Pretty much my thoughts as well!
OJ

Post by OJ »

wildbeast wrote:Dislike wire with a passion

Not half as much as I do and just had a heated discussion with one of their fans who claims we are the dirtiest team around, we're ruining the game with our wrestling techniques, our players are thugs and it's time the RFL did something about us blah blah blah. Cyclops could see more than this bloke could but the worst part is he actually belies he is right :eusa17:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: you don't see them all that often which is a a shame, recall HP coming out with loads of tasty little chips, a sight to behold
I agree that if we come out with the chips we'll relish the win, and be the Daddies :tong1:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
The greatest chip I can vouch for is Tuigamala for Wigan v Australia test team at Central Park 94. Thinking about it still makes me shudder. If I hadnt seen it I wouldn't believe it.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The booze hound wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Wire come up very fast in defence too. I've often said that a quick chip over the top like Sam T used to do could catch them out or at least make them hold the line back a little.
The greatest chip I can vouch for is Tuigamala for Wigan v Australia test team at Central Park 94. Thinking about it still makes me shudder. If I hadnt seen it I wouldn't believe it.
Takes some beating that one like