standards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wildbeast

standards

Post by wildbeast »

Said it before but a bit concerned by the falling standards of super league. Wigan have been hot and cold all season but at least can turn it on on when the chips are down cc excepted. Saints probably the worst team to win the league.
The first two games of the play offs were really quite embarrassing -Hudds an Cass clueless and the stains cass game was shockingly boring.How are we ever going to close the gap on australia - The league needs to be be far more competitive -Thoughts?
Bit of a rant too many beers and wine!
lucky 13

Re: standards

Post by lucky 13 »

wildbeast wrote:Said it before but a bit concerned by the falling standards of super league. Wigan have been hot and cold all season but at least can turn it on on when the chips are down cc excepted. Saints probably the worst team to win the league.
The first two games of the play offs were really quite embarrassing -Hudds an Cass clueless and the stains cass game was shockingly boring.How are we ever going to close the gap on australia - The league needs to be be far more competitive -Thoughts?
Bit of a rant too many beers and wine!
I agree.... no idea how to compete..... we could join the nrl :blush:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The problem you have is people argue it is now closer, more competitive blah blah blah. Look at our Dream Team blah blah blah. Personally, I think it is bullshit.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

cpwigan wrote:The problem you have is people argue it is now closer, more competitive blah blah blah. Look at our Dream Team blah blah blah. Personally, I think it is bullshit.
I agree we are lowering the standards to the lower teams only problem the lower teams are worse as well. Take a look at the level of players we saints and Bradford had 10 years back.
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If it is so bad, why bother watching the game?

You could always join the Latic's bandwagon like a few others have around Wigan.

p.s. Would be interesting to know if some of those who do the most moaning about the standard of the game actually go to games or just watch it on television.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:If it is so bad, why bother watching the game?

You could always join the Latic's bandwagon like a few others have around Wigan.

p.s. Would be interesting to know if some of those who do the most moaning about the standard of the game actually go to games or just watch it on television.
It's the opposite of moaning for me, it's worry because I love the game!
I love RL in all it's forms it has a massive place in my weekly life. All my family have watched Wigan, thinking about it thats 100 years that I know of..... that still goes on now as we have season tickets for my family. My son plays so it's a big part of my week. My dad's 76 and the last game he went we had to carry him. So he's now a armchair fan does not mean he's less of a fan because of it. My problem as a season ticket holder is how some of the non performances through the regular season will effect my team and RL in general. The way RL is and has been run worries me, that's because I care for the game that has given me such enjoyment over such a large part of my life.
02/04/2010/

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me you just have to have watched those grand final re runs they showed to realise how much quality has left the league. The league has turned into a youth battle and is now going to be won off prospects rather than world class players. The problem with that is some of these prospects could go so much further with class players around them. Players that go to the Nrl normally take their game to the next level because of this
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You could always join the Latic's. bandwagon like a few others have aroundnobody's intell.

It's obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that standards and quality on the whole is dropping in Super League. Unfortunately those with rose tinted glasses at various levels within the game appear not to see it, however next season's changes may do the trick!?
I follow a team in another sport with as much love and passion as I have for Wigan RL and such a flippant comment as the bandwagon comment insults nobody's intelligence but your own!!
For the record I have long standing season tickets for both.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

Been watching for over 50 yrs including the dark days in the 70's and rarely missed a match. so I do know a bit about standards. Overall quality is lowering hence a very mediochre team such as sts can win the lls. Pretty obvious . Doesn't mean I'm going to desert the game i love
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

In Australia questionably the No 1 sport is Rugby League, its played in their schools throughout childhood.
The levels of sponsorship are phenomenal in comparison to Superleague and hence their salary cap is now streets ahead.
Unless we have a level playing field like those points mentioned we wont have a sport anywhere near their level and I think the divide will just get bigger.
In Britain we are competing with Yawnion who try to smother our sport in every way, in Australia they cant realistically attempt to do that as there is better support for League in the media and on the terraces.
When you see the improvements in players like Sam Tomkins, James Graham and Sam Burgess in a relatively short period it suggests that we are way off the mark in training and conditioning methods too.