Go easy on Ben - It's only a game!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hanley the God!

Go easy on Ben - It's only a game!!

Post by Hanley the God! »

I'm probably going to get mullered for this. But having gotten home and watched the incident over, this is how I see it. Firstly what Flower did was inexcusable and certainly contributed to Wigan losing the game. BUT, the events went as follows : Hohaia messing about with Flower trying to obstruct him in the line (as he does most weeks), Ben swats him off and continues, only to make a mess of the move which could have been a try and is obviously pissed off. Hohaia makes a bee-line for Flower and blatantly puts his forearm into Flowers's chest and face. We all know what happened next and it deserved a red card.

However, if Flower was red carded for an "attack to the head" then surely in the rules of the game Hohaia should have received a red card, to match his red nose, for his blatant "attack to the head".

It was a complete brain fart for Flower we all agree, and for a rough tough forward as Ben is somewhat out of character and was clearly provoked. But admittedly OTT.

NOW, I say go easy on Ben, as does Shaun Wane. The lad will clearly be absolutely devastated and will be for some time. He'll always be remembered for contributing towards Wigan losing the 2014 Grand Final. A game which we know was ours to lose - but it is only a game!!

Wigan need to ensure that Ben Flower is not mentally damaged by this incident by the extreme pressure that the media and RL supporters are applying onto him.

Even Nathan (nob) Brown said he got what he deserved, to lose the Grand Final for his team. And that in itself will be hurting like hell!!!!

P.S. We need a goal kicker for next season. I know it's a game of if's and but's, but 8-2 at half-time and perhaps 8-8 later on (when IMO we should have gone for the try) may have applied more pressure to the Stains. To not even get the ball dead was dreadful. Successful kicks MAY have seen a different ending.

Here's to next year!!!!!!!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Go easy on Ben - It's only a game!!

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Agree with all that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

You shouldn't get mullered for this. It's a good post.
I don't think Hohaia should have been sent off but it was certainly a Wigan penalty. As I've said in another thread, they don't make cards red enough for what Benny did. And he will be devastated.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

I was ashamed to be a Wigan supporter last night reading fans labelling Ben Flower a coward. Truly the lowest of the low IMO.
FAIRWARRIOR

Post by FAIRWARRIOR »

I agree. The lad made a huge mistake. Yes, he's a professional rugby league player, but he's also human.
It was a red card without doubt, he deserved to go, but we have all seen the incident that led up to his reaction.....it doesn't make it right, but who's to say any other player out there wouldn't have reacted exactly the same. Again, the players are human.
I woke up this morning feeling like I'd had a bad nightmare and then reality kicked in.
I think his nightmare may continue for much longer.....
As fans we need to support the lad. Not persecute him. Emotions are still raw and the hurt will go on for a while yet, but let's all move on together as a club, and Flower is an important member of our club.
Ancient and Loyal.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

I was ashamed to be a Wigan supporter last night reading fans labelling Ben Flower a coward. Truly the lowest of the low IMO.
It's difficult not to react when someone hits you in the face with his elbow, I am sure you know what reaction you would have made CP, as I know what my reaction would have been.
Running in from 10yds aiming an elbow to the face is more of a cowardly action instead.
Ben reacted but just took it one step too far.
Sadly I see a double figure match ban pending as a result of a player, possibly already concussed being hit with another punch.
Ben Flower is no coward and far from it.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

It's difficult not to react when someone hits you in the face with his elbow, I am sure you know what reaction you would have made CP, as I know what my reaction would have been.
Running in from 10yds aiming an elbow to the face is more of a cowardly action instead.
Sadly I see a double figure match ban pending as a result of a player, possibly already concussed being hit with another punch.
What 2 absolutely disgraceful posts from 2 posters i once had some
respect for. :angry:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

platt-warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Why? Hohaia was as equally as coward as Flower if you want to be fussy about it! He hit Flower off the ball when he wasn't looking. Flower punched him face on, although the 2nd punch was bang out of order!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

Good post. Hope people back him and not slate him
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

platt-warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

:wink: Nobody is condoning Ben Flower but the criticism of him was horrendous. I do not care who they are, who they play for but anybody who plays RL is not a COWARD.

From pre match, the angle/build up was all about hatred. Wigan v Saints have never been hatred, it is rivalry but some wanted it to be more than it is. Lance made a mistake, Ben made a mistake and both should have been sent off.

I will not sway from my view that last night was payback for IL opposing the RFL and EM supporting the RFL.