With Regret

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

With Regret

Post by josie andrews »

The Wigan Club are sad to hear of the death of former player Robert (Danny) Gardiner.

Danny, as he was fondly known, made his debut for the Cherry and Whites in January 1965 against Workington Town. Later that year he would go onto play in the Challenge Cup Final success over Hunslet at Wembley.

The popular Prop Forward played 129 times for the Club and also won the Lancashire Cup in 1966 as Wigan beat Oldham 16-13.

The Club offers its deepest condolences to Danny's family and friends at this time.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... QAwOxq6.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Re: With Regret

Post by cpwigan »

Popular player RIP
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

RIP Danny.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Played with Danny a couple of times, fierce on the field a gentleman off it.RIP Danny.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

RIP Danny.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Bit of a shock,to say the least.Was he not an accountant from Cumbria?bit unusual in those days.Had a wicked leading elbow.,as I RECALL.
mp
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

Very sad. Tough, no nonsense prop. R.I.P. Danny
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Bill Ashurst has just posted it on Facebook.
CasWigan

Post by CasWigan »

When I first started watching Wigan Rugby in the mid 60's I remember big Danny Gardener playing in the front row, he had an unusual build for a prop, he was very tall.
In those days Rugby League was only a part time game, all players held full time jobs.
From what I recall Danny was a Draughtsman working at Gullicks Mining Machinery at Ince.
RIP Danny Gardener.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

So sad. For those of us who grew up in the 60s, players like Danny Gardiner were icons of our youth. Ashby, Boston, Ashton, Holden, Lake, Hill, Parr, Gardiner, Clarke, McTigue, Evans, Collier, Gilfedder - trips straight off the tongue from 50 years or so ago!
He became a regular after John Barton's retirement IIRC.
RIP.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐