Gells won’t take his place for granted

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gells won’t take his place for granted

Post by josie andrews »

Anthony Gelling may have worked his way to a regular first team slot for Warriors, but the centre is not taking his No.3 shirt for granted.

The 24-year-old appeared 23 times for Warriors last season, topping his tally of 13 in each of his previous campaigns – and in the eyes of many fans has shown vast improvement since being taken on from Auckland Vulcans as an unknown entity to them.

But Gelling isn’t letting his gradual ascendancy get the better of him. No stranger to controversy, he has vowed to keep up a work rate which defies the laid back perception his mannerisms may give people.

“Every time we train I try and be out at the front or do more than everyone else in the gym and I hope that starts to show,” he told the Evening Post.

“Every time I play I try to correct what I’ve done wrong the game before so you go through the checklist and try and get everything right.”

Gelling has two years left on his current Warriors contract and is in the frame to earn an extension.

With Ryan Sutton and Sam Powell recently signing four-year deals, Gelling will be keen to further show his credentials as a long-term prospect, which was how coach Shaun Wane envisaged the star’s development when he came on board for the 2012 season.

Gelling explained: “They (the club) put a long term deal forward but it was only recently – it’s certainly something to play for.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-7080053
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan