How did Greg Burke play?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

How did Greg Burke play?

Post by southportcdm »

For those that were at the game or have seen the highlights on Wigan TV, how did Greg go today and how did he compare with our back row players. I'd like to think that a year at KR will do him good and he'll return to us an improved player. Are the early signs good?
cpwigan

Re: How did Greg Burke play?

Post by cpwigan »

southportcdm wrote:For those that were at the game or have seen the highlights on Wigan TV, how did Greg go today and how did he compare with our back row players. I'd like to think that a year at KR will do him good and he'll return to us an improved player. Are the early signs good?
Well he was on the winning team and seems to be selected week in week out. He might be better off at Hull KR.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
southportcdm wrote:For those that were at the game or have seen the highlights on Wigan TV, how did Greg go today and how did he compare with our back row players. I'd like to think that a year at KR will do him good and he'll return to us an improved player. Are the early signs good?
Well he was on the winning team and seems to be selected week in week out. He might be better off at Hull KR.
Perhaps that's its because of why he was sent there to get more first team regular rugby when at Wigan he is behind more experienced players like Bateman, Farrell, Patrick Tomkins, O'Loughlin in the pecking order and now it would appear also the other Farrell.

Is it any different than when Charnley went to Hull KR and look where is playing now. Even Greenwood who went to London Broncos, but as returned with more experience and likely to get more first team games.

As I have said before, players are sent out on loan to either gain more experience or go there for others, including the club in question to judge and perhaps offer a permanent contract as they are regarded as being surplus to requirements at our club.

The question is, " Which is it in the case of Burke" ?

Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Perhaps that's its because of why he was sent there to get more first team regular rugby when at Wigan he is behind more experienced players like Bateman, Farrell, Patrick Tomkins, O'Loughlin in the pecking order and now it would appear also the other Farrell.

Is it any different than when Charnley went to Hull KR and look where is playing now. Even Greenwood who went to London Broncos, but as returned with more experience and likely to get more first team games.

As I have said before, players are sent out on loan to either gain more experience or go there for others, including the club in question to judge and perhaps offer a permanent contract as they are regarded as being surplus to requirements at our club.

Judging on yesterdays performance I think its a real shame we have sent him on loan for 12 months because now we cant bring him back. He dominated our pack was involved in all of their plays and looked very slick with the ball, it's amazing what regular game time can do for a player he was one of their stand out performers yesterday.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Well he was on the winning team and seems to be selected week in week out. He might be better off at Hull KR.

Judging on yesterdays performance I think its a real shame we have sent him on loan for 12 months because now we cant bring him back. He dominated our pack was involved in all of their plays and looked very slick with the ball, it's amazing what regular game time can do for a player he was one of their stand out performers yesterday.
So according to your judgement, performing exactly like Charnley did with the Robin's
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Tuigamala wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Perhaps that's its because of why he was sent there to get more first team regular rugby when at Wigan he is behind more experienced players like Bateman, Farrell, Patrick Tomkins, O'Loughlin in the pecking order and now it would appear also the other Farrell.

So according to your judgement, performing exactly like Charnley did with the Robin's
And you are totally missing the point.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

I like Burke but can't ever see him making it here
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
Tuigamala wrote: Judging on yesterdays performance I think its a real shame we have sent him on loan for 12 months because now we cant bring him back. He dominated our pack was involved in all of their plays and looked very slick with the ball, it's amazing what regular game time can do for a player he was one of their stand out performers yesterday.
And you are totally missing the point.
And you are assuming that on the strength of Burke having a good game against his own club which is only natural, especially against a pack that was poor, will be the standard that he will play all season.

Remember, Dave O, One Swallow does not make a Summer.

Now, instead of just having your usual petty swipe at me, perhaps you will enlighten everyone with a answer to my question in regard to his future from next season.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Greg has been selected by KR week in week out. I know one thing if you asked Greg or Connor F who was the better player out of the two both if they were honest would say GREG BURKE.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Greg has been selected by KR week in week out. I know one thing if you asked Greg or Connor F who was the better player out of the two both if they were honest would say GREG BURKE.
His selection which is as expected has only been three games so far and why compared him with Connor Farrell who is more new to our squad than him.

As I have asked, do you think that his loan at Hull KR is is more to do with getting more experience and game time in order to return as a first team player like Charnley before him at Hull KR or like Tuson at Castleford being put in a shop window to sell.

I await your valued opinion.