Youngsters

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wigan_babe_13

Youngsters

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

Who, out of the following list, do you think will have the most impact on the 2003 Warriors team:

Paul Johnson
Danny Tickle
David Hodgson
Danny Sculthorpe
Mark Smith
Stephen Wild
Sean O'Loughlin
Luke Robinson
Martin Aspinwall
Shaun Briscoe
Ricky Bibey
David Allen
Gareth Hock

I personally think Bibey will come into his own this year and prove that he is a future GB prop, also Johnno and Hodgy will prove their centre class!
What do you think?
kirky

Young 'uns

Post by kirky »

I think Bibey will come into his own soon. We seem to lack the really strong fellas up front. I think however, it is Hodgeson who needs to keep a lid on his temper. He is skillfull and has the capacity for speed, but can let himself down in a game with a rush of blood to that ginger bonce.
Man and ball, man and ball!
DaveO

They have to get a game first

Post by DaveO »

I don't class Johnson as a youngster anymore as he has several seasons under his belt :-)

Of the others those who get to start or play will obviously have most chance to shine so Bibey, Sculthopre and Tickle are off to a flyer as they are most likely to be involved in the majority of games.

Of those three I reckon Sculthorpe might be the one to come to the fore.

I would like to see Wilde given the chance to show us again what he is capable of.

I have nothing against Tickle but I am still bemused why he is preferred to take Furners spot over Wilde who is a second row whereas Tickle is a loose forward.

The other thing that struck me about your list is that it is LONG. We have quite alot of kids in the squad don't we.

Lets hope its not too many and we have the right blend of youth and experience.

Dave

rockets_rule

Andy's at his best

Post by rockets_rule »

Has anyone noticed that andy farrell plays better for GBR i have a theory.......
I belive that wigan really on his boot to much and his creativity but when playing for gbr he was used a battering ram/set piece maker

Question for anyone that can answer

why dont we leave the creativity to lam who is well respected and can do magical things with that step
rockets_rule

Andy's at his best

Post by rockets_rule »

Has anyone noticed that andy farrell plays better for GBR i have a theory.......
I belive that wigan really on his boot to much and his creativity but when playing for gbr he was used a battering ram/set piece maker

Question for anyone that can answer

why dont we leave the creativity to lam who is well respected and can do magical things with that step
John M

The question!!

Post by John M »

Weve been trying to answer that one for the last year or two!
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
John M

Hodgson

Post by John M »

IMO David Hodgson,if he grows up mentally he will prove to be a young Paul Newlove.He just lets himself down with stupid little digs at players.But really he seems to of been around for ages so i dont class him as young.
For me,Danny Tickle will prove you all wrong and he will turn into a class player and allow Faz to move to the second row where he belongs.Other than that i think by the end of the year Sculthorpe will be up to speed and terrorising defences with offloads out of every tackle.Aspinwall could also make an impact if he gets a good run.
Overall i think there are far too many youngsters in the team all at once and because of this they wont have the experience and guidence around them and they could end up under the wrong kind of pressure that could hinder their progress rather than help them.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
inkerman

SHAUN BRISCOE

Post by inkerman »

I NEVER SAW HIM MAKE ONE MISTAKE LAST YEAR IN THE FIRST TEAM.
HE WILL STAND OUT NEXT YEAR IF WE PLAY HIM
Bemson

More creativity

Post by Bemson »

I don't think Tickle will play second row from the start next year. I'd rather see Sean O'Loughlin start loose forward with Farrell in the second row with Cassidy. Sean is a fantastic ball player and his kicking game is better than Farrell's as well. It'll add more creativity and take some of the burden off Lammo's shoulders.

Also, if Luke Robinson is allowed a run in the first team he'll blow the competition away. He's the best prospect we've had at Wigan since Farrell and Robinson. He'll be Wigan's playmaker for the next ten years!
tony_a

re andy faz

Post by tony_a »

I couldnt agree more ive been saying all season, faz is a world class second row but an average stand-off.

when he was injured adrian lam was player of the month and when we went away to leeds, and played saints at home (48-8) faz played as a second row and we lokked fantatic when lam ran the show