Liam Forsyth and Nick Gregson ??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Liam Forsyth and Nick Gregson ??

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:What do people think about the potential of these two youngsters.

I like Gregson a great deal (runs great lines and very well timed), wonder if Forsyth would become a winger in first grade/
All the references on this topic are going right over my head.

I like what I've seen of Gregson. He's a smart player who is equally good in attack and defence. His biggest challenge will probably be avoiding injuries as I think he's had a few bad ones in the last couple of years. He's got great potential and is a decent goalkicker too.

As for Forsyth, I'm not too sure. He's a big lad who is dangerous in the air and tackles hard. Whether he's got that certain something that will made him stand out at the highest level is another matter. Thornley springs to mind as a player who has the physical aspects but hasn't yet shown anything outstanding.

Gildart is still the outside back who has the biggest chance of making it into the first team regularly. He's more skilful than Forsyth, is quicker and reads the game well. Jack Higginson is also highly rated, so we've got some good prospects for the next couple of years.

As is often the case, the back row has a lot of promising players. Gregson is an outstanding prospect but so are Shelford, Sherratt, Moore and Davies. Sherratt has played prop but he's looked useful at loose forward too. Rob Lever is still out on loan and was a big player for the under 19's last year.
I think that is a fair summary. I like Higginson, who I think is a year younger than Gildart, both have got excellent rugby brains and pace. Higginson also knows where the try line is although on occasions he can be a tad greedy.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Apparently they asked 100 people who they would like us to sign!
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

What level are they best at? "Higher?" "Lower?"
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

On a serious note, I think both these players have what it takes to play Super League. Players with Forsyth's combination of size and pace don't grow on trees so I'd like to see him given a go in the first team. Also been impressed with young Shelford, the hooker (Waterworth?) and Bretherton. BTW, What happened to Joel Verite who scored that hat trick earlier in the season?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Another one to watch out for is Umyla Hanley. Currently playing for Shevy Sharks U13s and I'm told he is dangerous every time he gets the ball!
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

This thread has made this middle aged man chuckle