Relaxed Burgess Reaps Benefits

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Relaxed Burgess Reaps Benefits

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Burgess admits he has had to relax to help his form improve this year.

The 20-year-old academy product admits he was probably pushing it a little too much at the start of the year as he looked to finish with a bang.

Burgess will leave the Warriors at the end of the season for Sydney Roosters and the youngster thinks his form dipped at the start of the year as he desperately tried to give it his all after announcing plans to leave.

"I was almost trying too hard at the start of the season," he said. "I've just chilled out a bit and started to play like I did last year and I've been better.

"I felt like I wanted to leave the fans with something and do something extra when I just needed to play like I normally do."

The former Ince Rose Bridge junior has since raced to the top of the try scoring charts bagging 21 tries in 22 appearances in 2015.

Wigan face Widnes at the home this week as they look to continue their fine run of form at the DW.
The Warriors are undefeated in over a year at home in Super League and Burgess says the team need to stay focused.

"We've just got to look after ourselves this week leading up to the game and have the right mind-set. As long as we do play to our best in the 80 minutes then there won't be many teams that can stop us.

"Widnes are trying to get into the eight, although they're 10th in the table it won't be an easy game at all, we've seen this year how these teams can catch you out. We just need to play like we did last week and we'll have a chance of winning."

The new format for Super League XX means all but one team go into the penultimate regular round with something to play for.

On the new format, he joked: "I don't really understand it, I just know that if we win every game then we'll be alright.

"No seriously, I do like it, it's different. It gives Widnes something to play for this week, it's definitely making the league more competitive."

Wigan Warriors face Widnes Vikings at the DW Stadium on Friday 17 July 2015, 8pm kick-off. The only place to see all of the action unfold is down at the DW, tickets start from just £21 for adults and £14 for concessions and are available from the Ticket Office, the hotline - 0871 6633 552 and online CLICK HERE

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... qo4OL3A.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan