2016 Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

Re: 2016 Squad

Post by warriors01 »

I agree squad is too thin and lacks quality. we should be looking for at least 2 hard running centres- move Gelling into back row. Play young Gildart on wing next season. Also need a HB who is a playmaker, hopefully Williams is the future, so look to replace Smith. We spent 15 mins on Leeds line on Friday night in first half and never looked like creating anything. We are too light in the forwards need to look to NRL like Leeds,Warrington and Huddersfield have done. And regardless of what Wane says we need a goalkicker as Smith hates doing it.Then we might just win all 3 trophies like Leeds are going to do.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Feel like we may struggle in the pack next year. I think lockers will retire, he has by his standards been poor this season and the writing appears to be on the wall.

Flower is our best prop - teatowel has been good but seems to get injured a lot.

Mossop might aswell spend his time selling his invisibility cloak, no one has been more anonymous this year

Crosby is steady and sutton is a good prospect.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

In today's rugby paper Waney is quoted as saying that we won't replace Thornley because he's hardly played this season and doesn't need replacing. He's happy using Joel and John to fill in and we have youngsters who are coming through. I think this will leave us really thin at centre even if Sarginson's injury isn't as bad as was claimed on this site last week. It really does look like Sam is our only major signing next year!
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

move lockers to prop put in some big hits against leeds - drives hard and can offload = prop
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

signing players is also good for the fans - it gives us something exciting to see how Wigan will develop new talent
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

My guess at Wigan's 1-17 next year.
S Tomkins, Charnley, Gelling, Sarginson, Manfredi, Williams, Smith. Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, Farrell, J Tomkins, O'Loughlin, Bateman, Mossop, Powell, Clubb.

19-26 - Tautai, Sutton, Burke, Tierney, Greenwood, C Farrell, Gildart, Shelford.

That's my guess at the 25 squad to be salary capped.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Yes Ted you are probably right and we've gone backwards!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wiganer Ted wrote:My guess at Wigan's 1-17 next year.
S Tomkins, Charnley, Gelling, Sarginson, Manfredi, Williams, Smith. Crosby, McIlorum, Flower, Farrell, J Tomkins, O'Loughlin, Bateman, Mossop, Powell, Clubb.

19-26 - Tautai, Sutton, Burke, Tierney, Greenwood, C Farrell, Gildart, Shelford.

That's my guess at the 25 squad to be salary capped.
i would have no issues with this squad, we forget that we havent lost everyone favorite Hampshire yet.

and although we are losing Burgess, Manfredi have come on leaps and bounds this season and in my opinion has actually been better.

but despite the fact that we could strengthen the squad in some positions the only thing that screams out to me is we need a Goal kicker (could tomkins do this?)

if that is our squad i would be disappointing if we were not top 4 at the end of the season.

people might say we need a big forward but we havent had any of a while now and we play according to to that. people could always become Saint fans if they want to see big players smashing through the centre :p
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

If we think that's what the squad will look like, then we can forget silverware for another season. the squad needs new faces to beat Leeds next year for the trophies. We need a more aggressive pack of forwards and some quality backs, with a goalkicker. Also it would be good to see us play more expansive rather than 5 tackles down the middle with Smith kicking at the end of it. If we fail to win something this season Wane has a lot to answer for as IL said at the beginning of the year that this was the best squad we had for a number of years. Love to see Daryl Powell at the helm done a great job at Cas playing good open rugby.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Apologies, I meant to put Hampshire in the 19-26 following Tautai and before Sutton. My mistake.
I do think Ryan will be in the first 20 next year.